Feeding my 6 mos. old

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Feeding my 6 mos. old

Postby carriesantos » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Carrie. I have a daughter who is turning 6 months on the 10th of Feb. She was born with a bi lateral cleft lip and palate(hard/soft). I have been trying to feed her rice cereal mixed with formula. She is showing no interest at all. She whines at every meal. I made it pretty runny, and it's not like she's choking or anything. Anyway, I am pretty concerned considering she's almost 6 months. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
carriesantos

Postby jacksmom » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Hey Carrie! I have a seven month old with a bil cleft palate, and I have tried EVERYTHING to get him to eat solid foods. He is still only eating formula, and I add cereal to most of his bottles, and make the night bottle as thick as I can get it. I can't figure out if he just doesn't like the texture of baby food or what! We were at the plastic surgeon's office Thursday and he said that some babies just won't eat solids until after their palate repair. He reassured us that it would have no affect on his nutrition or weight gain, as formula has more calories than baby food anyway. I have talked with several other mom's on this forum, and they don't seem to be having any trouble with solids, but Jackson is just refusing to even try! But, after our doctor's visit, I think I'll keep trying now and then, but I'm not going to stress about it. The most important thing is that they're getting enough to eat, and that their weight gain is fine. Don't give up, but don't worry either.....they will have plenty of time to eat solids when they get those little mouths fixed! Email me anytime!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby chicka-monkey » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:44 am

I also had a very difficult time feeding Skylar. She didn't want any part of it. Your child will do fine on just formula until one years old. I tried for about a month getting her to eat food. She wanted no part of it. Around 10 months she started to become slightly interested. She had her palate surgery at 11 months and has been eating solids ever since. She is now about 14 months old. The pediatrician told me as long as she continues to gain weight formula will be fine. If you are really worried you can see a speech therapist and they will work with you on getting your child to eat. I personally wouldn't worry about it until after the palate surgery. Why force them, if they aren't interested yet. It's got to be very uncomfortable for them having food squirting out their nose. Skylar still has a little hole in her palate and will have it until after the bone grafting at somewhere between the age 7-10 and some food leaks out once in a while, especially if it's runny food.

I was sooo worried also, until I got it in my head my child will be fine on formula until she is interested in eating. Good luck!

I think cleft palates and lips run in children that were born to Carrie's! (lol) There is quite a few of them on this board.
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Carrie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:45 am

Yes a few of us :)
Carrie
Carrie
Advanced Member