Food question

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Food question

Postby hatchedk » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi everyone! We have Andy's palate surgery scheduled on Feb 16Th. Andy is 8 months and has been eating 2-3 meals of baby food a day, but lately he has lost interest. He really wants table food. He used to eat the whole jar, but is down to eating less than 1/2 of a jar per meal, and he gets really frustrated after about 3 bites, snorting it out his nose and sneezing. I have been feeding him cheerios (which he LOVES) but have been holding off on other real food as I didn't want to give it to him and then take it away for the surgery.
But he isn't sleeping at night. He's waking at least once for a bottle, sometimes twice. I am trying to get more food in him during the day but with him not wanting to eat baby food, this is challenging.
This morning I was feeding him breakfast, which he didn't want, and I gave up and gave him a frozen waffle. He at 3/4 of it!! So It confirms my thoughts that he's just ready for table food!

So.....do you think I should just go ahead and start table food along with keeping up on baby food as the two weeks after the surgery will be bad anyways...or should I continue to hold off on the table food?
Thanks in advance!
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby lislas » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 pm

I remember having some of the same issues. My daughter had her palate surgery Dec 14th and had been eating baby food 50-75% of the time and solids the other up to the surgery. My doctor told us to feed her whatever she would eat leading up to surgery, because after surgery her mouth will be sore and she'll only want liquids or baby food...and they were right. She was able to be on a regular diet 2 weeks after surgery so it didn't seem to affect her at all. Now the problem is her having to relearn how to eat some of the bigger foods, I think sometimes that she's able to push the food back so well with her closed palate that sometimes she chokes a little. He said she basically has to relearn how to move food in her mouth and that they all get the hang of it at their own speed. I hope this helps and good luck with the surgery! I hope it all goes well!
Lissa
www.haileylyn.shutterfly.com
lislas

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate