Z-Pup are you here?

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Z-Pup are you here?

Postby SherriVnNC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Just wondering how you made out with Zach's post op appointment.
What exactly did he do? We're supposed to drive up tomorrow morning for Ava's post op appointment, but there's a strong chance of snow and ice, so I'm at a loss about what to do. Were there stitches that Dr. Van Aalst had to remove? This is so bad, but I don't know if they are all dissolvable or not!

Well, hope all is well!
SherriVnNC

Postby Z-Pup » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:30 pm

Sherri,
I'm sorry I missed your post, I've even been looking out for you as to how your surgery went. So did ya go to Chapel Hill?? or did you just call them? Hope you called because there were a lot of wrecks in Raleigh this morning. Anyway so if you didn't go, what happened in post op was nothing really, he removed his nose stints only took a second, and then he cleaned him up with some peroxide. And most importantly we got to take the arm restraints off, although we had had them off except for sleeping for a few days :wink:

Hope all is well, did she do well after surgery? The recovery was the hardest part for me I think, but he ate shortly after becoming coherent again, and then he slept for the rest of the day, we stayed the night in the hospital. He did NOT like having his Blood Pressure taken OMG. LOL. So he would get some comfort bottles and he was on Tylenol with Codeine so he slept good except for when they came to bug him.
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby SherriVnNC » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:06 pm

I guess I should have asked more questions about the post op appointment. I did go. It was a treacherous drive up there. I saw lots of wrecks and was hoping and praying I wouldn't be one of them. My husband had a meeting this morning, so he wasn't able to drive up with me, but luckily my parents were able to go.

Ava didn't have any nose stints, so all he did was put some peroxide and antibacterial ointment on her. I had so many questions about her appearance and felt a little rushed. He just kept saying give it time. I guess I'm just impatient. She did really well during and after surgery. We actually came home that afternoon instead of staying at the hospital. She was good into the weekend, then seemed to be in some pain, so we gave her some of the Tylenol and codeine. I'm a little worried about that c-flap area under her nose. At today's appointment, Kim had concerns that she may have an undiagnosed sub-mucous cleft palate since she refuses any other bottle except the pigeon and cannot keep a binky in her mouth on her own. They told me not to worry about it and come back in a month for the next post op appointment. Easy for them to say not to worry! I know that it doesn't change anything if we know 100% or not, but as a parent, I feel I NEED to know NOW. Well, I have to cut this short because my little girl is screaming for food! I will post pictures later this evening. Thanks for checking in!
SherriVnNC

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate