Which one is more visible physically? Please help!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Which one is more visible physically? Please help!

Postby amambroyan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:02 pm

When we went for my ultrasound, the doctor said that our baby would have a small unilateral cleft lip not even reaching the nose. She also said that we would not know if the palate is affected until our baby is born.

Which one is more visible physically...a cleft lip or cleft palate?

Thank you in advance!
Never lose hope!
amambroyan

Postby Hilla » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:39 pm

Hello

The cleft lip is always facial deformity and very visible. Cleft palate can later affect jars growth defect and that will show. With surgery, braces and more surgeries cleft kids are able to look normal.

You are lucky to be prepared beforehand. It was A HUGE shock for me when Hilla was born. She has unilateral cleft lip and palate. Very wide too. Her lip is now "closed" but her palate surgery will be in next summer.

Good luck, Laura
Hilla
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:25 pm

As Laura said, cleft lips are more noticeable, but they fix them very early on and then most of them look great! Cleft palates come with a Lot more complications and potential problems in the future! You should definitely be more concerned with that aspect, and get all the information on feeding, surgeries, etc. before your little one arrives. We also were caught off guard by our son's cleft, and had no idea what we were getting into! Try not to worry too much. There are far worse things than a cleft! You will think your little one is precious no matter what!
Good Luck!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby heather » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:30 pm

A cleft lip is the most physically noticeable. Most cleft lips are fixed at around 3 months. My son Eyson was born with a unilateral left lip that does not reach all the way up to the nose and a bilateral cleft palate, meaning both sides of his palate are missing. He also has a cleft of the gum. I was able to find out about the lip around 5 months of being pregnant. But I was also told that they could not tell if his palate was involved. I had to go mainly on the statistics, 70% of cleft lips involve a palate as well, and prepare myself for the worst. I was excited to see that his lip wasn't very bad but not so excited to see that his palate was bilateral. I wouldn't trade him for the world and when I look at him I know that this is the way God intended for him to be born. He is preparing for his first surgery in February. Since your baby's lip will not be all the way up to the nose I invite you to visit the links I have provided and take a look at Eyson. You will love your baby no matter what. I honestly look at him and don't even see the cleft anymore. I just see a beautiful baby boy. Take lots and lots of pictures. I know I am.
Heather

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117 ... 0_0333.jpg
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Hilla » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:04 pm

When the baby has an incomplete cleft lip it is much easier to "fix". And if there is also palate included that is fixable too. Try not to worry too much. I feel that my Hilla is the most beautiful baby in the world (when I saw her and was not prepared for the cleft, I was in shock and thought that she looked awful, I wish I could take that feeling back, because she was a beauty with her cleft also) but you can be prepared now.

-Laura
Hilla
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby Hilla » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Eyson is so so so cute!
Hilla
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thank you!

Postby amambroyan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 pm

Thank you to all of you who responded to me. You guys are great!
Never lose hope!
amambroyan

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate