Home again Home again Jiggity Jog! :)

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Home again Home again Jiggity Jog! :)

Postby Z-Pup » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:37 pm

We are home, obviously. Everyone is great, Zach is WONDERFUL!!! He looks amazing, although he already looked amazing! He went back to surgery like a trooper, so much so is Daddy is now calling him his little "Storm Trooper!" Me on the other hand, I did hold up great if I don't say so myself, but boy ole boy when he went back I made it back to the waiting room into the waiting arms of my Momma and lost it!

This is within in the last week / the Before Pic:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289 ... IM1091.jpg

This is this morning at the hospital when they are changing his dressing:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289 ... IM1199.jpg

We are getting ready to go home and he's ready to Fung Foo Fight:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289 ... IM1203.jpg

These two are when we got home and his tape that he has on got wet and came off so I cleaned him up and got a few more pics before putting the tape back on:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289 ... IM1205.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289 ... IM1206.jpg
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Hilla » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:47 pm

He looks SO GOOD! He looks perfect. I am so glad everything went well. No matter how cute cleft babies are already, but when they are fixed it is just amazing. Get some more sleep and relax.

It was odd but I missed Hilla´s cleft lip for a week because I had got so use to it. I thought I would never miss it. But I don´t miss it anymore at all.

-Laura
Hilla
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby pkett2 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:37 pm

Wow, what they can do! Those Doctor's deserve every penny! I'm not looking forward to going through the same thing though. I wish when they woke up from surgery they weren't swollen, no blood and no pain. But, we don't have a magic wand do we?

He looks beautiful!!! Good luck this week. I'm hope you guys have a healthy recovery!
April

Tommy 1/19/98
Bianca 5/1/02
Cecilia 7/21/04
Dino 10/5/06 IUCL
pkett2
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby jacksmom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Tia, You make it look so easy! :wink: I hope I can be as tough as you! I keep getting more and more nervous as the surgery date gets closer! Zach looks great! Hope everyone continues to do good and you guys can get some sleep! (Not much of that going on in the hospital!)
Congratulations!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Carrie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:21 pm

Zach looks so awesome!!! It still amazes me how fast these little ones bounce back from surgery. I'm happy your are all back at home and things are going well.
Carrie
Carrie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Z-Pup » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:11 pm

Allison

Well let me be very truthful...it was the HARDEST thing I have EVER done in my life! I didn't sleep for two days before! I actually finally got some sleep in the hospital, granted not much, but it dang sure was more than I've had!

I just can't say enough how glad I am it is over, and too that it so is not as bad as we make it out to be in our heads. And I know that's easier said than done! Just hold tight you Will get through it and come out on the other side. I heard a country song on the way home from the hospital, it said "If ya think your in hel* just keep on going maybe you'll get out before the devil sees you" Ya make it out before the devil gets there :D
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby SherriVnNC » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:42 pm

He looks GREAT! I'm glad we have wireless internet at the hotel! I never saw pictures of Zachary before tonight. I just cannot believe what Dr. VanAalst can do. He is an awesome surgeon! You're definitely my inspiration tonight and into tomorrow. I have fought back tears a few times today because I know I will not be able to do it tomorrow.

Congratulations on a successful surgery. Your little boy is certainly a trooper, but so are his mom and dad!

Sherri
SherriVnNC

Postby sodapop » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:47 am

Awesome! He looks really good. And he doesn't look too upset. How has behavor been? Have the pain meds been working for him? What is he taking? And how long will the arm restraints be on? Sorry so many questions. I am getting nervous for Vada's surgery on Tues! It's coming up fast! Looks like you all did great, I can only for the same! Happy that everything is going well for you, it will just keep getting better!

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Z-Pup » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:46 am

Sherri - I hope everything is going okay with you today, I know it is!! I know exactly where you are, your sitting in the waiting room on the second floor waiting for the Doc to come out and tell you it's all done! Hope recovery goes good for you!

Maria - Surgery took about 3 hours. They were able to use the tissue that was already there to close the cleft. At the hospital they had orders for Morphine and then Tylenol with codeine. Well I didn't want him to have the Morphine unless it was an absolute must, and it never was. So he had the Tylenol with codeine while at the hospital. They actually only sent home a RX for antibiotics, and just said to give regular Tylenol for infants. He hasn't been in any obvious pain or needed anything stronger. He is just really really po'd about the arm restraints and can't get his fingers!! But he's been up laughing and smiling and everything is great!

I keep telling my husband. I'm soooo glad to be home!!! It seems like once I walked through my back door yesterday a HUGE weight just lifted off my shoulders and I "floated" around happily yesterday.

Maria surgery will be fine, as many have said before, it really is worse on us than it is on them.

Sherri can't wait til you can tell us how happy you are to have it over with too, I'll be thinking about you the rest of the day!!
Lots of Love,

Tia

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby lynn81 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:50 am

he looks great. reminds me of what kadyn went through 4yr ago... wow how time flys. kadyn had bilateral and they had to stich both sides.
glad that it all went well
lynn
lynn81

Postby hatchedk » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:26 pm

HE LOOKS GREAT!!!! So glad you are done. The week after was so hard for us cause Andy wouldn't sleep without sucking on his hands. Is he sleeping OK?
Karen
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Wow

Postby HollyBee » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:33 am

He looks beautiful! He was adorable before but wow can they ever do amazing work. Congrats and take care.
HollyBee
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby hatchedk » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:11 pm

haven't heard from you in a week...is everything OK? Just checking!
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate