Lip repair completed on 12/27!!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lip repair completed on 12/27!!

Postby bama fan in Tn » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:53 am

This has been a very fast paced four weeks! We traveled from Tennessee to Norfolk, Va for our son's unilateral lip repair on Christmas Day just before he turned 2 weeks old. He was an angel the entire trip! Slept the whole way. We were very nervous about doing early repair and traveling out of state to do it. Most of our family was supportive but there were several that were not. I guess it is easy for people who aren't in your position to tell you what you should do. They had difficulty understanding why we were doing the repair so early and felt that if it were safe more doctors would be doing the procedure early. I am so glad I did NOT listen to them and continued with the planned surgery date at 2 weeks old! My son, Caiden, handled the surgery just fine and is almost fully recovered only 2 weeks after surgery. He only has a few stitches and little discoloration remaining. He was nursing less than 24 hours after surgery and took a bottle almost immediately after recovery. He was more upset over being restricted from nursing for the hours preceding surgery than he was over the pain post-op! Everyone in Norfolk at the Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters was absolutely wonderful. Dr. Rosenblum, Caiden's surgeon, was incredible. The staff at his office were wonderfully supportive. I would have never stopped crying if I hadn't had the support and encouragement of Karen Via at Dr. Magee and Rosenblum's office! She was all that kept me together in the beginning. I am so glad it is over and Caiden is fine. We may have to return for a revision at 6 months but it will only be a small very short procedure. Thanks to all that responded to my previous posting. Your words were very helpful.
bama fan in Tn

Postby Carrie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:28 am

So happy to hear that everything went well. All the best to you are your family.
Carrie
Carrie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am

Congratulations on getting that behind you! It sounds like everything went pretty good! It's always encouraging to hear about positive results! Post pictures when you get a chance!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate