bone grafting

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

bone grafting

Postby heather » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:24 pm

Eyson's surgeon has told us that he will not be doing any bone grafting on his gum until he about 9 or 10 years old. Does anyone have any experience with this? That just seems like a really long time for him to have a huge gap in the front of his mouth. Can't that be done sooner? I just don't want him to be made fun of by the other kids when he gets into school. Kids are just so cruel, as everyone knows.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby BabyZoey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:52 pm

Our Surgeon uses a Latham device and attempts to repair lip/nose/ gum at the same time. And if need be does a bone graft revision around 7-10 years.

Hope this help!
Lisa, mama to Zoey Faith, UCLP(4-25~7-31-06) and McKenzie Faith 11/26/2007(NCA)
BabyZoey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Heather, my sister-in-law's daughter also used the Latham device that Lisa mentioned, and it has seemed to be successful. She is now nine years old and just had a revision of her gum and nose back in October. Before the revision, you could hardly see the space. She had all of her front baby teeth pulled before the surgery, and the revision was to help with the position of her permanent teeth. Hope this helps!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby jacksmom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:28 pm

Heather, I forget to mention that there's a website www.newfacefoundation.com that has more information on the Latham device. It is the website of a local plastic surgeon here in Birmingham, but I thought it might be helpful just for the information. It also has has a link to the website of Dr. Ralph Latham, the inventor of the device.
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Mum from down under » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:09 pm

Hi Heather this also was a concern for us but Evan's gap in his gum is now very small. It has gone from very wide to almost touching. Evan will also not have it repaired until he is 9. Sorry don't know anything about the Latham device. Good luck with the sippy cup hunt.
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby lynn81 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:15 pm

hi my name is lynn
i have a 4 yr old that had only a cleft lip but has a little gap in his gums on one side. i am not sure if this will help but our drs told us that they wont consider doing a bone graph if he needs one till heis around 8 because they want his perment teeth to be in or almost in so they know what they are dealing with entirely when they have to start rearranging stuff in his mouth. i thought it was a long time to have to wait to but when i thought about it it seemed logical. i hope that helps,
lynn
lynn81

Postby Cindy Hecker » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Our Ps too wants some permanent teeth in before a bone graft. I can tell you this perspective. My daughter, no cleft is 8 and in 2nd grade. all through K, 1st and 2nd...all the kids are losing teeth and have gaps in their mouth. I remember reading in her class on day and more than half the class was missing a front tooth. So I feel my son Austin who is amost 4 will not feel out of place to not have a tooth in those early grades! He will fit right in!

Cindy
Mom to carissa 8, Tanner 6, Austin 3 and twins Robert & steven 10 months
Cindy Hecker
Mom to Austin 3 UCLP, Tanner 6, Carissa 8 and Twins Robert and Steven
Cindy Hecker
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby jaimea » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:40 am

Heather,
Kaylee (UCLP) had her first surgery at 4 months old, and during the surgeon closed the "gap" in her gums. I don't know what procedure he used but I'm quite sure I would've remembered if he mentioned a particular device. I guess she had enough tissue there to close.
Jaime
Jaime A
jaimea

Postby Julie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi,

We have had 2 in the past 2 years. Once their 6 year molars came in they were fitted with an expander to re-shape the jaw (to a more U shape that a V shape), then they had their bone grafts (and were in Karate doing flying side kicks one week later!!!!) and braces to hold the jaw in place while the bone solidifies. These are NOT cosmetic braces but try battling with the insurance......another post.

Hope this helped. Technology changes so quickly and new procedures are invented. I wish the Latham device was around 7 years ago.

Have a good one,
Julie
Julie Mom of
Claire 10 UCLP
Aiden 7 BCLP
Duncan 5 CL
Julie

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate