palate repair and small opening

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

palate repair and small opening

Postby Heide » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:26 am

Hello everyone and hope the New Year is going well for all. In two weeks our little girl will have her palate surgery. We have been very happy with our cleft team and surgeon but I do have a question for anyone who has had experience with this - our daughter has complete bclp with a large gap (she is also very petite for almost a year old), the surgeon said that he may have to leave a small opening in the palate (near the front) that would then be closed with a subsequent surgery. Has anyone else had this, my thoughts are that it is probably a better result than have a fistula appear after an attempt to close the palate completely but as the date of surgery nears I am getting more concerned. any advice is appreciated. thank you, Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby lislas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi

Our daughter had her palate repair a couple weeks ago and our surgeon also left a small hole in the front. I can't even notice it, and he did say that he closed it as much as possible, but it won't be fully closed until her bone graft. I think it allows room for teeth, if they aren't aligned properly and allows the gum line to shift and move as the palate comes together. The only thing he said we would notice is some food will still come out of her nose...which small amounts do. I truly can't remember all the reasons, but he's done so many repairs that I just trust whatever he said. She just had her post-op check and he said everything looks great. The roof of her mouth looks amazing, I really don't think you could tell there was ever a cleft except for the suture line. The first week of recovery was a little rough, but after that she has been doing great. It's interesting to watch her relearn how to move/swallow the food and liquids again, but he said that they get the hang of it pretty quick. I hope this may have helped a little. Good luck with the surgery and I'm sure it will go great!

Lissa
http://www.haileylyn.shutterfly.com
lislas

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate