fistula repair/ need input please!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

fistula repair/ need input please!

Postby Daddy's butterfly » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:38 am

Does anyone have an info on cleft palate fistula repair. My daughter's doctor wants her to have the repair in 6 weeks. I read online that a fistula repair should be done in 6 months. I would really appreciate any input. Has anyone else been through this?

Kristina :(
Daddy's butterfly

Postby Jeff Alterman » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:33 am

I would have to say that there is some debate about when to do a cleft palate fistula repair. It might be better to do it sooner rather than later since a fistula makes it difficult to feed the affected child. My advice, get a second opinion.

Jeff Alterman at alterman@bestweb.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Fistula repair

Postby cadiesmom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:24 pm

My daughter also needs to have fistula repair. It's been 3 months since her initial cleft surgery and we go back to the Plastic surgeon next week to see when he wants to repair the fistula. We were told at the initial surgery that when she developed a fistula (and we were told that she had a 95% chance of developing one) they would repair the fistula 3 - 6 months after the initial surgery. We plan to get it fixed as soon as our surgeon will do it. I agree with the last post, when in doubt, get a second opinion. Good luck.
cadiesmom

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate