lip repair

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

lip repair

Postby babyboycoming » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Well, I can't believe how fast time goes. Babyboy is coming up on 3 months old now and getting ready for his lip repair. For all the parents out there what did your family do during recovery that helped you out? Or, what do you wish they had done?

He has very few obvious likes and dislikes right now, but was there anything that your babies liked after surgery? Any hints or suggestions on how to make his life and his parent's lives easier during recovery would be totally appreciated.

Thanks
babyboycoming

Postby Heide » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:56 am

Hi there, time sure flies. The only thing we found out was that our daughter felt better just taking regular baby Tylenol instead of the Tylenol with codeine that was prescribed, the Tylenol with codeine seemed to make her crankier. All the best for your surgery and be prepared for the change in appearance, it is odd the first time they hand your sweet little one back.
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Mum from down under » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:32 pm

I found once all medication had stopped we went back to normal. Evan would whinge ( he's not a big crier never has been ) & would sick up until medication finished. He was given 2 toys by family member's while in hospital both are still his favorite's. ( He now takes Barney to bed ) Tears & lots of them happen in hospital. I cried each time I looked at our little boy tears of every kind & even family that came to visit cried. You spend 3-4 months looking after your baby & falling in love. Then after a few hours they have changed. That first time you see them laid there after op is amazing that cute button noise and those new lips. Now 11 weeks post op people hardly notice Evans scar. Good luck our thought will be with you.
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hatchedk » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:45 pm

Good Luck!!!
We had a rough go at our lip surgery...he wouldn't eat! We had to stay overnight and I was totally unprepared. Thankfully I had my pump. But I didn't have a change of clothes for myself. And a sweatshirt because hospitals are so dang cold. So that's what I would recommend. Throw a change of overnight stuff in the car just in case. If you are prepared, you probably will not need it! Good luck. It wasn't fun but we made it. And it was so worth it! If you haven't feel free to check out our blog. His surgery was back in September.... katieandyhatch.blogspot.com
Karen
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate