feeding question

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

feeding question

Postby hatchedk » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:58 am

My 6 month old son loves to eat spooned food. It doesn't matter what we feed him, thick or thin, he always sticks his whole hand in his mouth to swallow. And if we don't let him do this, the food falls out. I can hold the spoon long enough to get him to eat the food, but I don't have 3 hands to keep his hands out of his mouth and hold the spoon too. It makes a terrible mess...and I don't mind but I am just thinking about the palate surgery where he wont be able to have his hands for a few weeks. So would it be worth it to try to break him of this habit now? Any ideas/suggestions?
Karen
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby jacksmom » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:12 pm

Just a quick note to put in my two cents! Lots of other Mom's on here have mentioned being able to spoon feed just fine. My son Jackson is almost six months old, and I have yet to get him to eat with a spoon. It seems like he either can't get it to the back of his mouth, or it all comes out of nose! Our occupational therapist told me that he may not be able to spoon feed until after his palate repair. This was VERY discouraging to me, as I was thinking that if I could get some food in him, he may sleep better. But I have been feeding him baby food with the mead-johnson bottle ( I cut a bigger hole in the nipple), and have even tried just a plain syringe. Just some thoughts! This is all so trial & error!
Let me know if you get any other tips!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby SONIA » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:02 am

Hi Karen!

My 2 month girl started spoon food 3weeks ago!
She does not use her hands to swallow ... (I guess she hasn't realized it will help her yet) but she needs something to help her get the food at the back of her mouth.
So that's what I do... after every spoon I feed I give her the nipple of her bottle to help her swallow... it seems to work so far!!
I know the mess is frustrating but time till the operation will fly!!! I say that to myself to encourage me!!! :D :mrgreen:
Hope I helped!!
My girl 4/6/2006 with CP
My Son 1/10/2004
SONIA

Postby SONIA » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:10 am

Sorry 6 month girl!! :D
My girl 4/6/2006 with CP
My Son 1/10/2004
SONIA

Postby jacksmom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:50 pm

Sonia, how severe is your daughters cleft? Jackson's is very wide and I can't him to swallow any food off of a spoon! Please let me know if you use any kind of special spoon or if you have any other tricks! Thanks!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Mum from down under » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi Ladies I have watched this post to see how you have all been getting along. Evans palate cleft is wide we have no problem with a spoon we do however offer the spoon side on if that helps you. Evan @ times puts his bid in his mouth between mouth fulls I don't believe this is to help him swallow. We use a spoon by Heinz which is soft & flexible. I hope I was of some help. I you all would like I could take a pic of his spoon & post it so you all can see what it looks like. Good luck
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby SONIA » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 am

Hi Alison!
Well the DC that saw my daughters cleft said that it is "wide enough"... I would say as wide as a middle hand finger... I don't know If you get the "picture".
I also use a long flexible but small spoon.... but what seems to help most is the cleft teat I give her after every spoonful.
Her is the site with he picture of the nipple... check the NUK Cleft Palate Teat, without feed hole
[/img]http://www.nuk.de/nuk2003/html/main.php?target=_top&path=%2Fproducts%2Fneuheiten&lang=en[url]

Note that it is not easy for me -either- to feed my baby with a cleft and the food is not always going in her stomach... I just try any way I can think to help her eat.
I pray that time goes by quickly to the operation so that feeding become easier... firstly for her and secondly for me!!
Be patient and think positive!!! Our babies will find the way to swallow sooner or later!! :wink:
[/url]
My girl 4/6/2006 with CP
My Son 1/10/2004
SONIA

feeding

Postby Heide » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:45 pm

Hello Ladies,
Our 11 month old daughter (bclp) took a while (about a month) to get used to pureed baby foods. Our speech therapist said that with the bclp she initially swallows by moving her tongue against the front part of her mouth (where the lip repair pulled things down). For us, I also hold the spoon sideways and I don't stick it in too far. Now, this works great. The therapist also encouraged us to try more "solid" baby foods to teach her to use her tongue on the sides of her mouth, the "more solid" solids (level 3 baby foods) have been an utter failure for me (resulting in an almost choking experience) - I may try again but will likely wait until after her palate surgery next month to work up to the finger type foods. Perhaps this experience may help.
Happy Holidays, Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate