Amniotic Fluid - Baby difficulty swallowing

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Amniotic Fluid - Baby difficulty swallowing

Postby jstupak » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Hello -
I am 30 weeks into my pregnancy and my daughter has been diagnosed with a cleft lip and palate. I recently had an ultrasound and my doctor is concerned with the amount of Amniotic Fluid the baby is swallowing. She said babies with a cleft palate may have difficulty swallowing the amount of Amniotic Fluid necessary causing too much Fluid as well as developmental risks for the baby. Did anyone else face this problem? I started reading about this on line and (of course) started to panic. Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks,
Jenna
jstupak

Postby SONIA » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:28 am

Hi Jenna,

I know how you feel, but don't worry!
My princess came on June 2006 with cleft palate! At the 34th week the ultrasound showed too much amniotic fluid. Until she was born we didn't know that she had a cleft. Afterward my doctor explained that her cleft was the reason that I had so much amniotic fluid, as she was not swallowing properly.
My girl was just small... only 5pounds. She is however a healthy cute baby!! So relax and enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy!!

:wink:
My girl 4/6/2006 with CP
My Son 1/10/2004
SONIA

Hello, been a while since i have been on!

Postby sodapop » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi Jenna. My name is Maria, my daughters name is Vada and she is 4 1/2 months old now. She was born with unilateral wide left cleft lip and cleft palate. Her first surgery is January 16th to close the lip and nose. I was told my amniotic fluid was low when i was about 28 weeks and so every week till i had her i had to go to the hospital for the baby fetal monitor. I have heard about there being too much fluid and was worried about that at first as well, but i think that it is not as common as you would think. Has your ob delivered a cleft baby before? I would speak to someone who has if you are very worried about it. But try not to be. Enjoy your last couple of weeks and i wish you well on delivery! Best wishes.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/ ... 006010.jpg

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate