A timid Hello!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

A timid Hello!

Postby Tidders » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:41 am

My husband and I are expecting our first baby at the end of February and found out at our 20 week scan that our little one has unilateral cleft lip going in to baby's gum (not sure whether the palate is affected too). Our reactions were quite different. My husband (bless him) was the strong one whilst I melted into panic. I felt very confused and hurt to start with and wondered what I had done wrong to cause the problem - after all I'm responsible for him 100% at the moment!! :?

5 weeks on and we've had a 3D 4D scan which showed us how beautiful our baby is going to be despite this slight problem and we've found this site very informative. It has broadened our understanding of the impact of our baby's problem and helped me to understand that it is definitely NOT the end of the world! ... So first of all a thank you to everyone who shares their thoughts and feelings here! :)

We don't know whether our little one is going to be a boy or a girl but we're calling baby Alfie whilst 'in utero'. We've just finished decorating our nursery and can't wait for Alfie's arrival!

Anyway I just wanted to say Hi and Thank you and will keep checking in to see how things are developing for you all!

[/img]
Tidders

welcome

Postby Heide » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:07 pm

Just a note to say "welcome" and congratulations. It sounds like you and your husband are handling all very well, this group has been such a great resource for us, I hope you find it to be the same. take care, Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby chicka-monkey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Hello and Welcome!

You will love your new baby with all your heart.!
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hatchedk » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Welcome...
This is a great group to answer your questions....and there are many resources on the web!
I too found out on an ultrasound and had so many different feelings....but now he is 6 months and just a handsome boy!
Reading others stories really helped me know what to understand...so if you want you can check our blog...
katieandyhatch.blogspot.com
go back to August/September to find out about our first surgery and before pictures.
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby BabyZoey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm

Welcome and Congrats on your pregnancy!
Lisa, mama to Zoey Faith, UCLP(4-25~7-31-06) and McKenzie Faith 11/26/2007(NCA)
BabyZoey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Mum from down under » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:10 pm

Welcome & Congrats
This site is amazing :!: It can & has reached in and touched my heart. We too have a uclp son who is 6 1/2 months old. If it had not been for the wonderful people here I imagine the road so far would have been a lot harder. You can view pic of our son it the post just as I promised. I hope Alfie's arrival is a safe one. And those feeling every one of us has felt them it hurts for a long time, but I believe special baby's get special parents. Please let us know when Alfie arrives. :D
Last edited by Mum from down under on Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Welcome! I found out about my little guys clefts the same way. It was spotted in my 20 week ultrasound and then later confirmed with the 3D 4D ultrasound. He was born with a unilateral cleft lip that did go into a bilateral cleft palate. This site has been very helpful to me as well. His first surgery will be in February and I will probably be talking to the wonderful people on this site quite a bit asking them for advice. Keep us all informed. Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate