Palate Surgery - Thursday

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Palate Surgery - Thursday

Postby babycole » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Cole is scheduled to have palate surgery and rhinoplasty this Thursday. He is having it at Miami Children's Hospital in FL. He has already had his cleft lip repaired back in March. He is 13 months old and is a little trooper.

I really have no idea what to expect. I know that he cannot have any type of bottle, sippy, etc. Does he drink out of a cup? Is the recovery more or less than the lip surgery? Will he be in pain afterwards? About how long will he be in the hospital?

I probably have a million more questions. I just see it being a lot easier when he was a baby. He is not a cuddler and wants to walk everywhere. So I am just curious how he is going to be.

Please share your thoughts, experiences, etc. You can also email me - desirea49@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Desiree
mom to Drew & Cole (UCL & BCP)

cleft lip repaired 3/06
palate repaired 11/06
tubes replaced 3/07

www.drewandcole.com

babycole

Postby Mum from down under » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:18 am

Wow 13 months old how fast they grow. Desirea can't offer answers to your question as Evan doesn't have his palate repair operation till August 2007. But I wish baby Cole a fast recovery. Both of you will be in my thoughts this Thursday. Good Luck & keep us all posted.
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby chicka-monkey » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:12 pm

The morphine they have him on at the hospital keeps them almost pain free. Palate repair was actually quite easy for Skylar. She had hers a month ago. The only thing we had problem with was the night terrors she had due to the trauma of having the surgery and anesthesia. They lasted about a week. It took her a little while to get used to the "new pressure" in her ears due to closing the palate.

She drank from a syringe. If yours can drink from a cup, that would be better. They kind of get stomache aches from the air from the syringe. It was actually better than I expected. Good luck!
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Drinking

Postby babycole » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:01 pm

Cole had his palate surgery on Thursday. They also touched up his nose and lip. He absolutely refuses to drink from the special suringe, cup, sippy cup or anything else. Any suggestions?
Desiree

cleft lip repaired 3/06
palate repaired 11/06
tubes replaced 3/07

www.drewandcole.com

babycole

Postby chicka-monkey » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:14 pm

I do not have any suggestions, sorry. She didn't drink too much for a few days after surgery. She only had about 6-12 ounces all day & night. How is he feeling? As long as he is drinking something, I think he would be alright. If he hasn't been eating anything I would call the dr.! Keep at it. I kept offering her food every hour or two. She would have a sip many times and then refuse. She is jpretty much back to normal now.
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Carrie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:12 am

I agree with Carrie. Keep at it but if he's looking dehydrated take him in so they can top him up with IV. I would maybe try putting some liquid on a soup spoon and tipping it in that way. I wish I had more suggestions for you. Besides the feedings, how did the sugery go?
Carrie
Carrie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Heide » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:09 pm

just a note to wish you all the best for Thursday and the recovery thereafter. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Update

Postby babycole » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:17 pm

Cole was home briefly from the hospital. He started dehydrating and refusing all food and liquids. So we ended up being at home less than 24 hours. His pediatrician readmitted him to the hospital. We ended up going to a local hospital instead of going all the way down to Miami. He was put on an IV and given Morphine for the pain. He just started eating (only pureed foods) and drinking from a spoon yesterday. He will only drink pedialite or melted popsicles, I think milk or formula remind him of his bottle. He is now just on Tylenol with Codeine for pain maintenance and is eating well. Hopefully we will not have to see the inside of a hospital for a very long time. Thank you to everyone for keeping him in your prayers. He is my tough little trooper. He looks like he has been at war. He has bruises everywhere from IV's and blood draws. He is a little puffy from his surgery. He was very excited to be home with his toys.
Desiree

cleft lip repaired 3/06
palate repaired 11/06
tubes replaced 3/07

www.drewandcole.com

babycole

best wishes for Cole

Postby Heide » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:02 pm

Just a note to hope your weekend goes more smoothly and that Cole recovers quickly. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Carrie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:03 pm

It good to hear that you and Cole are doing better and are back at home again. It amazes me how tough our little babes can be.
Carrie
Carrie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate