Nip/Tuck

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Nip/Tuck

Postby babyboycoming » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:21 pm

I never watch this show but was over at a friend's house last night. Apparently the big wig plastic surgeon's son has fused fingers and he has been chomping at the bit to do the restorative surgery (he wanted to do it immediately post partum). But last night they revealed why it was so important to him that his son is operated on right away. After a drawn out sequence of flashback to his child hood it was revealed that he had a cleft lip that his father was literally too cheap (didn't want to use his savings kind of poor not they wouldn't be able to eat kind of poor) to get it repaired and he didn't have surgery until he was 8.

It was interesting but I can't decide if I think they handled it well. First of all it was not super believable that at age 8 they had not found a way to do the lip nor is it very believable that his Dad didn't want it done. He was so upset and he kept referring to himself as a child as hideous, his childhood pictures were locked away in a box and he was so ashamed about it all. Also they portrayed childhood surgery as very traumatic (I am officially not bringing babyboy a huge teddy bear after surgery).

They did however give him a Mom who made him feel loved and reminded him that those who would hurt someone's feelings are not people you want as friends. They portrayed his Mom as someone who would do anything for her son (much like some of the Moms here sound).

I know a lot of people on this forum probably wouldn't watch nip/tuck but if anyone caught this episode I'd love to hear what you thought of the Cleft Twist.
babyboycoming

Postby sodapop » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm

I caught that episode. I did not think they handled it very well either. It left me feeling kind of angry. The way they made it seem like it was the worst thing in the world and yeah the whole traumatic childhood surgery thing was just dumb. I had surgery at ages 3 and 8 and each time stayed in the hospital 6-9 weeks, i never really felt traumatized by it. I met some good friends and wonderful doctors and nurses.

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate