Vada

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Vada

Postby sodapop » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:50 am

Vada just got the NAM device inserted today! She is so unhappy about it! Along with the NAM we also have to tape her lip still. Feeding isnt going too well either. She only took 1 oz at her last feeding and fell asleep. I am hoping she will sleep a little bit, but really doubting it. It is going to be a long weekend!

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby gregory » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:15 am

Maria,

I am sorry to hear about Vada's discomfort with the NAM.

My son was operated when he was 4 days old and the results were successful beyond our expectation.

We did not have to use a NAM device. For a short period of time after the surgery feeding was difficult and we had to use a nasal trumpet as his breathing was labored. We were observing closely with a CO2 reader. We found it very useful at nights.

Gregory (9yoB, PRS)
gregory
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby sodapop » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 pm

thanks for the reply. It was a long weekend. And finally Sunday night she had had enough! She cried for 45 mins out of every hour for 12 hours straight! I even gave her a small amount of infant motrin (tylenol wasnt working) and she still screamed. This morning i called and left messages with her orthodontist and nurse. and took the NAM out and have left it out. I will not put it back in if it is going to cause her so much pain! I am going to talk to the orthodontist, we have an appt later this week, maybe it just doesnt fit right or something? I knew she was going to be cranky but 12 hours straight is just too much! for me and for her! She has been an angel since i took it out and seems to be out of pain. I hope the orthodontist has some answers, otherwise we just wont use it, which sucks but i hate seeing my baby in pain anymore than she has to be and i wont put up with 2 months of that! :(

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby gregory » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:23 am

Sounds like the right thing to do.

We were presented with a number of post-op choices including a surgical extension of his lower jaw in order to correct his micrognathia--standard in many Pierre Robin Sequences. By the way, we did not agree with this part.

Many of our decisions with Theodore (my son) were based on research, understanding, and our passionate willingness to do all that was necessary to assist him. Trial-and-error was part of it, but we tried to keep it minimal.

I hope that your orthodontist provides you a better alternative solution for Vada.

Gregory (9yoB, PRS)
gregory
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate