Ella's recheck

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Ella's recheck

Postby Kerri » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:25 pm

We just got home from Ella's surgery recheck..No fistulas! He said it looked perfect..No restraints (we haven't used em for awhile now :wink: ) Soft foods (she's been eating those awhile now :wink: ) And she can have a sippy cup next week (she's using that too :wink: ) Just a few straggler stitches that are still coming out and that's about it! We go back for the full cleft clinic in 6 months..WE'RE GOOD TO GO!! He did say that he shouldn't have let her leave the hospital because she wasn't taking fluids..I don't know if she would have there..I also ran into parents who's little boy is having palate surgery next month..She asked how it was..I kinda felt bad telling her because Ella had such a hard time..I'm glad it's over!
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby Carrie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:51 pm

Hi Kerri. I'm so happy that everything went great today. I bet you were relieved. Hunter is pretty much recovered after his surgery. He's milking the "oweee Mom" "oweee Mommy" phrases now, just to get what he wants lol. It's funny how they learn to manipulate at such a young age. lol. It been a crazy couple of months, never thought I would ever say this but wow, I'm glad the summer is over!
Take Care.
Carrie
Carrie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Z-Pup » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:14 pm

Carrie - girl you ain't never lied about being glad the summer is over with! Obviously I have different reasons than you do...OMG I can see my feet LOL...I've lost 14 pounds in the last 6 days!!

Kerri - I'm sooo glad everything checked out okay for you lil trooper. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I go to visit the cleft team next Thursday, and then we will schedule lip surgery, they usually do it in 3 months, but that will be the middle of December, so I'm gonna put it off until after the first of the year after the holidays.
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hatchedk » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:46 pm

I'm glad everything is OK! We have our palate surgery in February and I am jealous that yours is done. We just got done with the lip and I dint ever want to go through surgery again. When he gets mad or something is different, he wont eat. So I anticipate problems like she had. Ill keep you in mind to remember that yes....it will end
Karen
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby GWH1 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:53 am

Kerri,

That's great news!! I know you are relieved that surgery is over for a while. I also know how hard it is when your child is recovering. Matthew was great for a week following his lip repair while taking the "Magic Medicine" (Tylenol 3)!! But, after that, he was very irritable and fussy. Between the ointment applications, arm restraints and constipation he was just a miserable little fella.

But, all in all, they recover quickly and soon it all becomes a memory.

Wishing you and Ella the best as she continues to recover.

Mark
GWH1

Postby heather » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:29 pm

Congratulations Kerri. I'm glad everything went well. Being able to read about everyone elses experiences here is getting me more prepared for what I am just about to deal with in about a month.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby chicka-monkey » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm glad Ella is doing so much better now. Did they close the palate all the way? Or did they leave a small hole for when they do bone graft? I bet your relieved that is over.
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Mum from down under » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:20 am

Great to hear Ella is doing well :D :D . Just think I have all this to look forward to some time next year. Evan sends a big kiss & cuddle to you all. :D Its great to be back home. Still trying to get photos to work. :?

Cheers
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate