Hello...

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Hello...

Postby GWH1 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member. In fact, I've been reading posts here for over a year, and finally decided to register. Anyway, my name is Mark and I live in Alabama. I am married and have two beautiful children....Madelyn age 4 and Matthew age 14 months. I started researching clefts when my wife and I found out that our son was going to be born with a cleft. My many miles of research led me here, and I always seem to come back and check in. Anyway, Matthew's cleft was suspected at our 18 week ultrasound.....then we were sent to UAB Hospital/Kriklin Clinic in Birmingham where a unilateral cleft lip was confirmed. No one could tell us with certainty whether or not the palate was affected. Based on the doctors information, we assumed that it would be. I might also mention that there is no known history of clefting on either side of the family.

We were able to meet with UAB's Cleft Team prior to Matthew's birth......boy, did that help ease our minds. Our Plastic Surgeon was Dr. Paul Gardner. Can't say enough great things about him......he is an outstanding surgeon and a genuinely kind man. He has since left the Cleft Clinic and moved into private practice in Florida. We are now seeing Dr. John Grant who is also a fantastic doctor.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Matthew was born on July 7, 2005 with a complete unilateral cleft lip and alveolar ridge (left side). His hard and soft palate are not affected, although doctors can't be 100% sure of the soft palate. Always the possibility of a sub-mucous cleft, but we won't know for sure until he is able to make more sounds.

Matthew had his lip repair on 9/13/05 and has done very well. He is such a joy and is quickly turning into a very rambunctious little boy. It is great to have some more testosterone in the house!!!

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences. Hopefully I can help someone here just as you guys helped us.

I'll post a couple of pictures as soon as I figure out how........

Bye for now,
Mark
GWH1

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:08 pm

YEAH!! FINALLY a DAD!! My husband thinks we're all part of a cult or something..Welcome to the group! Sounds like your little one is doing great..As you know, we LOVE pictures..So he had his lip repaired, and his hard and soft palate seem to be ok..What age does your dr. fix the ridge? Does he have any teeth in there yet? We're glad you finally chimed in! I'm sure you'll be a great help around here :D
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby GWH1 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:51 pm

Hi Kerri,

Our PS told us that the Oral Surgeons would time the bone graft in the ridge with the development of the adult teeth. We suspect around 7-8 years of age. Matthew has 7 teeth now, one on the medial side of the cleft. It is coming in a bit crooked and seems to have a funny shape. He was also very slow to develop teeth, not cutting his first until he was about 11 months. Oh yeah, and he has yet to take an unassisted step. I believe that he CAN walk, he just doesn't WANT to walk. The sooner the better because that little joker is getting to be a heavy load!

Oh, and the PS also told us that he did not want to schedule any revisions until he is ready to start first grade. At that time he will address the remaining issues with his nose and possibly address the lip (if necessary). So, we have a few surgery free years to look forward to....

Here are a couple of pics.......

Morning of Surgery....

11 Months Old...

Matthew and Big Sister...
GWH1

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:16 pm

Mark,
How adorable! Isn't it amazing what the doctors can do now? That's when we have Ella's ridge fixed..They told us she'll have braced at about 7 years and then they will fix her little notch around 9 or so..How's his speech coming along? She'll only say MaMa and make some noises..Our last visit we were told they won't start anything as far as speech goes until she goes to school..She has 8 teeth and one in her cleft..It's pretty straight but because her gum is at an angle (her little I tooth comes down farther then all the others..We call it her fang) her tooth in her cleft you can't even see unless you pull her gum up..So far so good..We go in for our post op tomorrow..She had palate surgery Aug.29th..I just love going to her clinics..I'll let everyone know how it goes!
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby Carrie » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:37 pm

Mark,
Welcome to the group. Your boy is very cute, love those eyes.
Carrie
Carrie
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hatchedk » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:39 pm

Mark...What a cutie! Thanks for sharing!
Karen
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby sodapop » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:23 am

Welcome! He is adorable!

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Mum from down under » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:58 am

Welcome to the group Mark, nice to see a dad on line. Love those baby blues Matthew :D
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate