Coutdown to surgery

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Coutdown to surgery

Postby Jude2 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:59 pm

Less than a month to go til my baby undergoes cleft lip/palate and gum repair. had last appoinment as outpatient yesterday. Saw the ward where he will be staying - really depressing place, overcrowded, horrible cots. Dont think they have private/semi-private rooms so there will be 5 babies at one time and at night 5 mums keeping vigil.
Getting tense about the upcoming events. Dont know how Ill cope giving 24hr care to baby in pain. Any advice/words of wisdom would be appreciated. Also, where can I buy the good arm restraints as according to my husband, the doc said they use PLASTER CASTS over here. Can that be right? Sounds horrible. No soft toys in hospital....getting depressed just thinking about it.
Sorry for moan!
Jude2

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:16 pm

http://www.cleftadvocate.org/resources.html
If you scroll down there are some web sites with restraints on there..Advice? Wow..A lot is going on in surgery!! Make your little one as comfortable as possible, stay on a strict med schedule! Healing goes quickly..Keep saying in a few weeks, a month from now even, it won't be like this..That's what I had to do to keep myself sane! Rest beforehand and know that you're gonna have some rough days..Get through the 1st couple days and it's all downhill!!
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:18 pm

Ooo another thing I forgot since you mentioned toys..Ella played with a mylar balloon for WEEKS lol..She loved it..Take a few things with you..If theres a special blanket or toy..A tshirt of yours that they can sleep on when you're not there so your smell is there..But I'm tellin' ya, that balloon was a godsend!
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby Mum from down under » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:35 am

Wow that is big surgery. Jude you will cope at the end of the day laid in that cot is you son and you will do what ever it takes to make him comfortable. Good luck & keep us posted.
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Kerri » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:16 am

Time flies, huh? I was looking over older posts and I remember yours..Recent diagnosis, freaking out..WOW..You've come a long way mom!!
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

time flies

Postby Jude2 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:03 am

It sure is a long time since I first came across this website. Thank God I found it! Really helped with the freaking out. In a month's time the worst will be over (all being well) and I can then start looking forward to normal things like christmas, getting his first passport etc. Hope all your kids are doing well too.
Jude2

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate