My most precious boy :)

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:44 am

I peeled it too lol..I finally ended up keeping vasoline on it 'cause it just never would go away..Those little mouth breathers and their dry lips! The pigeon bottle is so nice..We didn't find out about it 'til her 1st cleft clinic appointment, but we tried it..They need to hand those things out to everyone when our kiddos are born! Enjoy your little one and get some more sleep!!![/i]
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby BabyZoey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:07 am

Yep, I agree the chap lips are quite common in our babies. I used to wet Zoey's lip and gum line where the "gook" was and slowly peel it away to avoid it from bleeding.
As far as the numbness- I am just now starting to get feeling back at my incision site- my OB said it's normal because they cut through some pretty major nerves during the c-section operation. I am 5 months post-opt as of yesterday.

The Nuk paci's are great! Zoey loved that particular brand- I think because it was a good fit in her little notch and she could hold it in independently!
Hope you get some sleep!

Lisa
Lisa, mama to Zoey Faith, UCLP(4-25~7-31-06) and McKenzie Faith 11/26/2007(NCA)
BabyZoey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Z-Pup » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:51 pm

Oh my goodness, I feel like a NEW person! I actually slept for 2.5 hours straight!!! I'd dance but it prolly hurt LOL

I have a question, and I knew if anyone would know it would be you guys.

I know that all babies are different....but as to feeding how much do they usually eat when being fed breast milk from bottle and 5 days old. I don't want to over feed him, but I truly don't want him going hungry either! He usually eats anywhere from 2-3 hours depending on his sleeping, and before he left the hospital on Sunday morning he was only eating about half an ounce per feeding. By the end of Sunday he was eating an ounce per feeding, well as of today he's wanting close to 2 ounces. Too much? not enough? Just go by his clues??

Boy I can't tell you how nice it is to have found this board and all of you.

Lisa, thank you so much for telling me about the numbness that makes me feel sooo much better too.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: A much happier rested momma....

OOOOH lemme tell you what my mother in law said...about his days and nights being mixed up....b/c for the last two nights he's been wide awake from 3am to about 7-8am. She said with her youngest she held him upside down by his ankles for 20 seconds and it "fixed" him. Her daughter has a 3 year old, and she said that Sharon (mil) did that to her daughter too and it worked. Freaked me out....but I tell ya by 5 tom. morning I just may be willing to try.
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:05 pm

I was told they will tell you if they are hungry..I say if he's taking it, he's hungry lol..That little bugger is gonna be a rolly polly one going at this rate, which is great!! Just keep burping him as much as possible..The dr's also told me anything after 1/2 an hour of feeding is doing them no good..Takes more calories to feed than what they are taking in..Sounds like he's doing great! The days and night switch sucks and not alot you can do but keep him alert during the day..It will work itself out! Owwie belly, huh? Can't help you there..Mine all decided they wanted to come out the ol fashioned way..Good way to let that man of yours pamper you..Put a bow tie on him and carry a bell :wink: :lol:
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby heather » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:11 pm

No baby is the same. 2 ounces is pretty normal at this point, though. Most babies will let you know when they're full. If your baby doesn't, i always found it a help to feel their tummies and see just how full it feels. Just remember to burp him often to avoid as much spit up as possible. Congratulations on the little one. He's so handsome. Good luck and try to get some sleep when he dozes off. Little cat naps are better than nothing at all. LOL Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hatchedk » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:50 pm

What a DOLL!
Andy was eating around 2 ounces a feeding by the first week...and shortly got close to 3. Of course just listen to their cues but sounds like he is eating well.
It's such a good feeling (well, maybe ouchie but reassuring) when that milk comes in because you know you can feed your baby! Andy is 4 1/2 mos and I'm still pumping...(actually this is what I do when I pump...surf the net!)
About paci's...my PS recommended that you not let babies stick bottle or paci in the cleft as this pushes the cleft segments apart and you want them to grow together! We got an obturator his 3rd week so then it didn't make a difference where he put it...but you can check with your PS... write your questions down because with all that sleep you are getting you are surely going to forget something!
Yikes, the hanging upside down by the ankles thing freaks me out! What desperate, sleep deprived women wont try!!! Good luck!
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby sodapop » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:21 am

His feedings sound pretty normal. Vada was sucking down 3 oz every 3 hours by the end of her first week! She was 6lbs 7 oz at birth and is now about 9lbs 6oz. As far as how much to feed...when i was in the special care nursery after our emergency room visit her first week home, they told me to feed her whenever she is hungry, never deny a newborn food. They will only take as much as they need and what they need can vary slightly from another baby, so just feed him whenever he tells you he wants to be fed. Vada only cried the first couple of weeks when she was hungry, cold, or needed a diaper change. Now of course, she is crying when someone is not in the room with her and for all sorts of reasons i am just figuring out. She is a month and a half! Time flys by :D

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

congrats!

Postby Jude2 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:27 am

Congratulations on the birth of your son - he is very cute and what a head of hair! Why is it only my baby who seems to be bald as a coot? I had a c-section too so I can feel your pain. They stopped giving my drugs after 48 hrs (really mean in Italy) and I started doing little walks straight away so I very quickly healed. Certainly dont do ANYTHING strenuous for 6 wks - could totally make your healing go backwards. Now 5 months on I have no pain at all and can do everything I could before (although my bikini modelling career is over!LOL) I pumped for 4 months and that was another hell - cos you are not feeding directly its another huge amount of time when you cant really get much else done. Lanolin helps a bit for the ouchy nipples and also for baby's dry lips.
I wanted to do 6 months of pumping but my body told me NO NO after 4. Best of luck with it - it is great to provide some good old antibodies etc.
I can only vaguely remember the whole first 2 monhs cos I was so sleep deprived. As soon as my baby starteed sleeping thro the night I was like a new person though!!
Jude2

Previous

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate