Palate Surgery

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Palate Surgery

Postby babycole » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:10 pm

I have been out of the loop for a little while. Things are hectic around here. I cannot believe that Cole is almost one year!

He is having his palate repaired and nose fixed in November. Is there anything I should do to prepare for this? Should he learn how to use a cup? I just have no idea what to expect.

Thanks!
Desirea

See his pics on our website - http://www.drewandcole.com
Desiree
mom to Drew & Cole (UCL & BCP)

cleft lip repaired 3/06
palate repaired 11/06
tubes replaced 3/07

www.drewandcole.com

babycole

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:56 pm

Ella was a year when she had hers done..2 weeks post op today!! We were told to have her on a cup and comfortable with it before surgery..We didn't ..But honestly I'm almost happy we didn't..She took to it right away..She was hungry and figured it out..We have restraints on her until the 27th..(she had surgery on Aug.29th) so almost a month..He wants NOTHING in her mouth..We were told to cut the spout off a sippy cup so it was flush and that is what she would drink out of post op..The nurse put pedilyte in it and no go..She wouldn't touch it..Which we knew she wouldn't..The nurse was a SAINT!! She said now that she wouldn't drink it 'cause she didn't like it she wouldn't drink out of the cup again..No matter what was in it..They remember lol..She was right..We used a clear plastic cup so she could see what was in it ..We just hold her, put it to her mouth, and pour..Chicken noodle soup, beef stew, and chocolate ice cream..That's ALL she's had..Not even juice..I guess for some reason they find a few things they want to eat and stick with it..(she was eating regular table food beforehand)...I guess they just have to get used to their new mouth..All of her food goes through the blender..I knew there would be swelling but wasn't ready for the amount she had..She couldn't swollow at all..She dehydrated and we went back into the hospital for 2 days..She's doing great now..As far as taking them off the bottle, try, if he doesn't take to a cup right away don't sweat it! He won't want anything in his mouth anyways..Recovery (back to her old self) took about 2 weeks..Longer than lip repair..BENADRYL BENADRYL BENADRYL lol...7 days post op when the stitches dissolve and itch we started it..WHAT A GODSEND!! It helps with the itching, swelling, and of course sleep..I don't know where we'd be without it!! Also, for the 1st week we used Loritab and Ibuprofin (for swelling)..She had a hard time with just Loritab..Our dr. said it's not so much the pain but the swelling and the sore throat..Just my 2 cents lol..Let me know if I can answer anything else..Hers wasn't the typical recovery but she's doing great!
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

cup

Postby babycole » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:53 pm

How do you get a one year old to drink out of a cup? He pushes everything away and would probably spill it all over. Right now we are having a hard time with bottles. They all seem to constantly malfuntion. He has about 1.5 months until his operation.

Thanks!
Desiree
mom to Drew & Cole (UCL & BCP)

cleft lip repaired 3/06
palate repaired 11/06
tubes replaced 3/07

www.drewandcole.com

babycole

Postby Kerri » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:15 pm

Ella was such a big eater..She was starving! We didn't practice at all with a cup..When it came time she just had to take what was offered..Plus, after surgery they don't want anything in their mouth anyways..The things she eats she had before, now it's just through the blender..Tastes the same..It didn't take her long to figure out the cup at all..Kiddos are amazing!
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate