ear tubes

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

ear tubes

Postby kaitlinsmommy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Hello everyone, not sure if anyone remembers me or not, it has been awhile since I last posted. So quick update my daughter Kaitlin was born with a wide cleft palate (soft & hard) she is now six months old. She just had her tubes done three weeks ago, because they were concerned with permanent hearing loss if they waited until palate repair. She goes back for a follow up and hearing tests next week, but my question is if any else has had tubes before palate repair if they noticed formula coming out ears. Usually she sits upright to eat, but when sleeping she wants to lean against me and some formula comes out ears, I'm assuming because palate is still open. Any opinions?
Thanks Nicole
Nicole
kaitlinsmommy

Postby Aidyl » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 pm

Hello Nicole. My son had a cleft palate (hard and soft). He didn't have tubes put in his ears until his surgery. He had just a couple of ear infections beforehand and the doctors were somewhat surprised that he didn't have that many and decided to wait until surgery to put them in. He never had anything come out of his ears..like milk or anything...before or after the tubes were put in. I hope that you find some answers. Take care and God bless.
Lydia
Aidyl
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

ear tubes

Postby Heide » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:55 pm

Hi Nicole, our 8 month old just had her tubes put in about 4 weeks ago and has just had a lip revision (BCLP). I have not noticed any formula coming out but our ENT said that there might be some drainage for up to a week after the tubes were put in. I know you have a follow up next week but perhaps it is worth a call to the doctor. Also, I am not sure how your sons hearing was before the procedure but it seems to have really helped our daughter's, she is babbling a lot more now (but it could just be the age too, they grow so fast) good luck. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Kerri » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:31 pm

There was a mom on another board awhile ago who's little one had bright green stuff coming out of her sons ears that just had tubes put in..They couldn't figure it out because it was a BRIGHT green..Come to find out it was his fruit roll ups lol..Ella has a set in and had one replaced 2 weeks ago but we haven't had any problems (fingers crossed) ..I agree..It might be worth a call to the Dr..Let us know how it's going!
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate