My Upper Jaw Surgery (10th July 2006)

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

My Upper Jaw Surgery (10th July 2006)

Postby liv.j.smith » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:50 pm

Hey :) this was my experience of surgery - i wrote it on another forum shortly after my surgery - but some of u might find it helpful if ur considering having it done. :P

Hey everyone, :D as the title says, i recently had upper jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery). Before my operation, I literally scanned google for as much as I could find out about it, as my consultant didn't really explain everything in as much detail as I'd hoped. So I thought it might be helpful if I posted my experience (so far) for those with the same problems! I'm 18, this has been my 6th operation and I had it done at Cambridge Bupa Lea (and they're really good there, I would recommend anyone having it done, having it done at Bupa!) At the bottom of this post, I'll put some websites that I managed to get the most info from - a couple include both top and bottom jaw surgery if that's helpful to anyone.

Post-Op

I won't bore you all with the pre-op goings on, unless anyone is worried about what happens - to cut a long story short...you're not allowed to eat for some time, and you're put to sleep! When I woke, my face felt quite tight in parts, and I didn't realise I was wearing an oxygen mask, which I guess means you'll feel quite numb as well, particularly around the nose area. You're likely to feel very tired and will probably drop off to sleep, although I think I vaguely managed to watch hollyoaks and later big brother! The next day I was surprised that I could actually quietly mumble what I wanted (drink etc). If anything, it's just frustrating when people can't understand you, so you might want to do what I did and have a white board ready! I was given self-administered morphine (in other words, you press a button and you get some!). Although as it balanced in my body, it made me be sick...which wasn't pleasant because it was blood - but I felt 10x better for getting it out. The main problem I found was that it was very difficult to swallow saliva, let alone water or any other drink! Even swallowing now, I can still feel that there is a gap at the back of my throat, but it has certainly become less noticeable and much easier to swallow in the last couple of days. You're also sent away with anti-biotics etc so don't worry about that. As for PAIN - virtually none. Honestly - it's discomfort if anything, and the feeling of being swollen, not pain. And you CAN sleep on the side of your face - although I think that because I've been sleeping more level, rather than upright, that I've become more swollen...

Swelling and brusing

My face has swollen big time. If you sleep upright, if possible, you won't swell as much - it's easier if you're in a hospital bed as you can raise it etc, but when I got home (2 days later), it's hard, and I think that's why I've swollen so much in the past two days. No bruising at the moment (touch wood), and I'm hoping the swelling will decrease now. I look like Miss Piggy!

Speech

Before this surgery can be done, the orthodontist and consultant will arrange (at least they should!) a video x-ray of your speech. For me, it was a case of repeating words into a microphone, and counting up and down from 20 (all the time being video x-rayed). Because I don't know the fancy words, I'll explain why they did it in my simple understanding haha! Basically, the flap of skin at the back of the throat hits the other side of the 'tube' - and so this type of x-ray determines whether or not, after the top jaw has been moved, if the flap can still reach the other side to form sound. If it can't hit it well, then you're likely to have speech problems. I'm lucky enough to not have had any speech problems prior to the surgery, which was one of the major things I was worrying about - and they say that my speech post-op is excellent - although to be honest, I'm surprised anyone can understand me as I'm just quietly mumbling! Having trouble with 'g' and 'f', but I'm hoping that that will sort itself out. Afterall it's early days! Luckily my surgeon doesn't think I'm going to need further palate surgery, so I should be thankful for that.

Nose

This was another one of my main worries - like many people born with a cleft palate, my nose was a bit mishaped - not massively, but even so! Because they have moved my jaw, not only forward, but more centred, its made my nose go slightly to the right. I'm quite down about it to be honest, because your nose is obviously in the middle of your face, so it (to me) is very noticeable. It's hard to tell what it will be like when the swelling goes down, but hopefully that will go more centred. If it doesn't, I'm going to be very paranoid about having photographs taken of me, because my nose will look silly. (Bearing in mind I'm a paranoid teenage girl haha). But I've kind of accepted that I'm going to have a nose job, but will have to wait 6 months at least....booo...

Hearing

Never usually a problem (had to have gromits when I was little, but that's it!) but I have noticed that my ears are, well, not quite popping, but feel covered, if that makes any sense. I can hear everything fine though.

Braces
You still have to have the old train tracks on unfortunately. If you haven't got them yet, expect to get them top and bottom! I think it was a couple of days after the surgery, my surgeon attatched white elastic bands to the back of my teeth (top to bottom), so that they will help guide my bite correctly. You may, like me, have to make an orthodontist appointment about 3 days after your operation. It was quite embarrassing because obviously people stare at the swelling and that. But anyway, you have to have x-rays done, and the orthodontist attatched two more bands either side. You can't really see them to be honest. They'll be on for 6 weeks max - and eventually at the front, but at least it's not 6 weeks with them at the front i guess! It's SO difficult to brush your teeth - buy a child's one, because you won't be able to open your mouth very wide at all! Also, the bands get in the way. You get given a mouthwash though which you have to do regularly.

Food

Some of the websites I found said that you're only allowed liquidised food for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of soft food, then hard food - but in my case, the first time i ate - it was liquidised (soups, smoothies etc), but since iv been home, I've managed a jacket potato (minus the skin lol) with cheese (and obviously a hell of a lot of butter) - so basically, you can have what you want - it's more about what you feel comfortable with eating. I refuse to let anyone see me eat at the moment, and I have to eat with a teaspoon lol but we're getting there. Do try and open your mouth - watch something funny - because when you laugh, you're exercising your muscles, and I swear I can open my mouth wider than I could yesterday.

Overall
Overall, I'm pleased. I don't want to put anyone off, I think if anyone has the opportunity to have this done - get it done! Everyone has said that even with the swelling, i look so much better than I did before, and that my profile from both sides is fantastic. I think it's just because I'm worried about my nose, and i haven't had the approval from my bestfriend yet that I feel a bit down - after that I'm sure I'll be really happy. When i first looked in the mirror, I was overjoyed - i think it was the next day that I noticed my nose. But I finally have a cupid's bow pout which I never had before, and you wouldn't know that I'm a cleft patient if you saw me! Also, if you're unhappy with your nose like me - they can't do anything until the foundations are set, so you do need to have this operation done if you want to consider a nose job!

Anyway, I really hope this has helped anyone who was feeling a bit left in the dark like I was. Email me if you have any questions! Sorry if I've gone on a bit Good luck, luv liv xxxxx

Sites I found helpful:

http://www.addenbrookes.org.uk/serv/cli ... athic.html - what is orthognathic surgery etc.

http://www.widesmiles.org/cleftlinks/ - a massive website, mainly aimed at parents with cleft children, but did find parts of it useful.

http://www.cleft.ie/forum/default.asp - Ireland cleft society - forums, quite useful.

http://www.surgicentre.com.au/procedure ... ivejaw.php - very useful, includes pictures, a kind of step-by-step walkthrough, inc side effects. Does include top and bottom jaw surgery.

http://www.baoms.org.uk/CD-ROM/Informat ... eotomy.pdf - you need Adobe for this, but very useful

http://www.widesmiles.org/cleftlinks/WS-727.html - another person's experience of jaw surgery
liv.j.smith

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate