cereal ?

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

cereal ?

Postby kaitlinsmommy » Wed May 31, 2006 11:13 pm

I was curious as to what age anyone started feeding rice cereal and whether it was easier feeding with a spoon or through bottle. Also my daughter uses the pigeon bottles with a valve so maybe it would clog the valve.
Also we just had a second visit with the cleft team. Kaitlin can have her palate repaired @ 10 months if she can eat from a spoon and drink from a sippy cup. So that is the goal for the next six months.
Nicole
kaitlinsmommy

Postby Kerri » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:08 pm

My daughter is 10 months old..I've heard a lot of parents have great success with a spoon..We haven't yet..She takes cereal from a bottle (we use the Mead Johnson bottle )yet and wont take other "solids"..She however does like things she can pick up with her hands..She will have her palate repaired at 1 year..Our nurse on the cleft team (who has 2 children with clefts as well) told me not to stress about solids..She's gaining weight like mad..We do, however, have to have her on a sippy cup by surgery time..Ella just doesn't seem to like the spoon..She puts her hands over her mouth and turns her head..Just our experience...
~We are never given more than we can handle~
Kerri
Support Member
Support Member

Location: Dubuque,Iowa Cleft Team Dr. Canady University of Iowa Hospital Iowa City, IA

Postby mazimono » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:35 pm

Have you tried the Avent bottles and cups? They are all interchangeable and you can buy them at Target. The sippy cup parts are soft and you can remove the spill-proof valve. I'm not sure you could put cereal in them but it might be a good sippy cup to try. My son's cleft palate was repaired at 3 days of age (1997) so we did not have so many feeding issues.

Good luck.
Mary Ann Zimonopoulos
mazimono

Postby chicka-monkey » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:56 pm

I started Skylar about 4months. She has only about 1/2 - 1 jar a day of food. She doesn't like eating too much either. She would rather drink from the bottle. She is 7 months old. She does LOVE macaroni and cheese baby food. She will eat 3/4 jar.
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby tkebino » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:35 pm

Eddie started eating rice cereal around 3mths because he was so hungry. I made it real soupy and he was able to suck of the spoon. I thickened it up slowly. By 5mths he was eating pretty well. He did better with stage two. He would eat two veggies, meat and a fruit. A lot came out of his nose but he was eating. I left the table food out until after his palate was repaired since he could only have soft food.

I did not have to have him drinking from a sippy cup before his surgery. He just started using the nuby cup after great advice from this site. Can someone tell me why they have to be using a sippy before surgery.

Tracy
tkebino
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate