Peers question three year old's "differences"

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Peers question three year old's "differences"

Postby renads » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:42 am

I have a three year old client whose parents are concerned about helping him cope with being different from his nursery school peers due to his repaired cleft lip and palate. He has lip pits which will be repaired when he is closer to five. His speech has characteristic distortions but his language skills are excellent.

I would appreciate a post with any advise I could pass on to this family

Thanks.
R. D. Schoenberg
renads

How many

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:39 pm

How many people actually read these forums ?

Postby Jeff Alterman » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:40 pm

Hopefully in time your three year old client will become adjusted to his surroundings. In the meantime, make every effort to tell the other children that there is nothing else wrong with your three year old client that has a cleft lip and palate. His speech might be distorted for a time, but that should begin to improve as the child gets older.

Jeff Alterman at alterman@bestweb.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Re: Peers question three year old's "differences"

Postby Justine » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:38 am

I don't think kids at that age would notice the difference. My daughter is almost 3. I sent her to preschool since this September. I told the school about her problem. I think other mothers notice but they are too afraid to ask, but not kids. They are too young to notice. My daughter is very happy to go to school every day. She even wants me to send her there for the whole day.
renads wrote:I have a three year old client whose parents are concerned about helping him cope with being different from his nursery school peers due to his repaired cleft lip and palate. He has lip pits which will be repaired when he is closer to five. His speech has characteristic distortions but his language skills are excellent.

I would appreciate a post with any advise I could pass on to this family

Thanks.
R. D. Schoenberg
Justine

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:46 am

my daughter is now 4 and is in her second year of preschool. We explained to her at an early age that she was born with a cleft lip and that doctors will fix it and that is what we have also told everyone who has ever asked about her lip. She has had one surgery and has a very significant scar. When a child asks about her lip or looks at her funny, she tells them what we had told her "I was born with a clift lip and the doctors will fix it".
The problem we are having now is we are trying to prepare her for her second surgery and she doesn't want it. One day I told her that she needed the surgery because when she starts kindergarten some kids might make fun of her because of her lip. Her response was "NOT MY FRIENDS". We haven't discussed it since.

Postby smilesadmin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:44 pm

We apologize for an inappropriate reply posted by a recently accepted member who was a "spammer".

We evaluate and validate every user before they become members. Unfortunately, the long list of users that apply for membership includes an insignificant number of users that cause problems.

Please accept our apologies.

Regards,
SmilesAdmin
smile@cleft.org
smilesadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby daycon » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Our son will be 4 in August and has been going to pre-pre school since he was 16 mths. old. I also have to agree that at this age children don't really ask or notice. He was born with a BC LP so when he was about to turn 3 I asked his teacher if any of the kiddos have ever made fun or questioned his scar and the answer was always no and continues to be no. I've been to all of his school functions and field trips and have seen that the other children don't treat or look at him any differently. He himself has never asked or made a comment. However, I know that as he gets older it will be more difficult because of the teasing and we don't want him to get caught off guard. A friend suggested that we touch the subject by explaining that everyone is different (big nose, small nose, big ears, small ears etc.) and I just purchased a Sesame Street book (we're reading tonight) titled We're Different, We're the Same And We're All Wonderful! and who knows, that may trigger him to ask questions without us having to bring it up.

Good luck!
daycon

Postby gc0447 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:50 pm

For: "daycon":

Hello. My name is Georgette Couvall (Dr. Salyer's patient: http://www.worldcf.org). How are you? Here is my Personal Story link:

http://worldcf.org/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=39 (Craniofacial anomalies)

I'm from Illinois. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Just wondered.

I wish the best for you and your family.

Sincerely,

Georgette Couvall
gc0447
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate