Breastfeeding the CL&P Baby

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Breastfeeding the CL&P Baby

Postby mustanglova77@yahoo.com&n » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:11 pm

To those of you who are struffeling with either not breastfeeding or not breastfeeding. Either way bonding is the most important factor when feeding your cl&p baby. You can breastfeed................you will probbaly have to have a pump..........that's where Medela comes in. They have everything you need to breastfeed. To pumps, the haberman feeder........and so many other things. And if someone hands you a funny looking nipple.........it's the Ross nipple. It works...........but you have to have squeezeable bottles..........like Evenflo makes. Just take ur time with it. If you don't get handed with the Ross nipple........you can cut a regular nipple a little bigger criss crossed shaped and it works wonders. But you'll still have to have the sqeezable bootles. Once the lip is repaired your baby will probably be able to take a regular nipple. The same feeding technique goes to regular bottle feeding..........just cut the nipple a little bigger and have squeezable bottles handy. And you can use that method even with orthodontic nipples, etc. I've used all sorts of nipples. No need for that lamb's nipple parents!!! I have my husband to thank for this idea.........I was too exhausted to get up in the middle of the night and he was exhausted, so he started sqeezing!!!! My little man never slept so better in his life. He went from 45 minute feedings every two hours. To 10-15 minute feedings every 4-6 hours. Lacey mustanglova77@yahoo.com
mustanglova77@yahoo.com&n

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate