Re: After-surgical care

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Re: After-surgical care

Postby Brenda » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:13 pm

Many thanks to all who responded! It's nice to have an extra resource like an online community when trying to deal with issues like this.

Today, the sutures were removed, and things look pretty good. I asked our doctor again, and he said again that nothing has a clear advantage for minimizing scars.

I think I'll give the Mederma a try, but I will definitely make sure to keep massaging. From what all of you have said, that is the one best approach.

Thanks again, and a happy and healthy to you all!

brenda

from original message:
Our son (aged 15 months) has surgery yesterday to correct a minor cleft lip (no cleft palate). I'm thrilled to say that 36 hours after, he is almost back to normal. He tries to smile, and laughs, and wants to play, despite his arm restraints. We are thrilled that he has bounced back so quickly!

After surgery, our doctor described our after-care, and we have our discharge instructions.

I have a question for those of you out there who have gone through lip surgery: Once we're to begin massaging the area with moisturizer, what type of product would you recommend? Our surgeon said that no one type, whether vitamin E, cocoa butter, aloe, etc., has been proven to be better than any other one.

But in your experience, has anyone believed anything to be superior at preventing noticable scarring?

Thanks in advance for any help-
Brenda

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate