PostOp Palate Feeding Troubles

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

PostOp Palate Feeding Troubles

Postby Linda » Sun Feb 11, 2001 12:48 pm

My 11 and a half month old daughter had her soft palate repaired 4 days ago along and we are having feeding troubles. She has been drinking from a Pigeon Bottle (flexible and has a valve system) which allows her to bite the nipple to get the formula out. The problem aside from her not sucking, is that she's taking in way too much forumala, way too fast! She's getting a lot of gas and is basically uncomfortable.

I have tried an Avent Sippy Cup and Bottle; as well as a Playtex Avance Bottle and she throws a fit. She wants instant food!

She is able and does like to eat graham crackers, but not babyfood. I think she'd rather feed herself than have me do it. It's not a matter of the spoon in her mouth because she'll put anything and everything in her mouth!

How can I or can I get her to suck to slow her down her eating? Can I add anything to her formula to thicken it to slow her down? Or do we just have to deal with this mouth open biting way of eating she's doing until she's physically more comfortable?
Linda

Re: PostOp Palate Feeding Troubles

Postby Anonymous » Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:00 pm

After my son's palate surgery, I used a syringe to feed him. I gradually added ceral to the formula. It is very difficult at first...but you both get used to it. After he healed... I used the avent soft spout training cup and continued on with soft solids. He is now 18 months and eats everything we do!

Good luck!

Oh..you may want to consult a oral motor feeding speech therapist to help with feedings. Most states offer an early intervention program that will help put you in contact with a therapist in your area.
Anonymous

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate