DOWN SYNDROME AND CLEFT LIP/PALATE

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

DOWN SYNDROME AND CLEFT LIP/PALATE

Postby STEPH&HALEIGH JUNE 20 » Fri Jun 30, 2000 3:53 pm

MY 13 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER HAS DOWN SYNDROME AND CLEFT LIP AND PALATE AND SHE IS DOING GREAT.THERE IS NO CONNECTION BETWEEN THE BOTH BUT IT HAPPENS SOMETIMES.RECENT STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT BOTH HAVE TO DO WITH LACK OF FOLIC ACID, ALSO THERE IS A STUDY THAT HAS PROVEN THAT MOTHERS THAT DO NOT BREAK DOWN VITAMIN B-12 THERE IS A HIGER RISK FOR DOWN SYNDROME, SO IF ANY IS CURIOS ABOUT ANY JUST READ THE LATEST STUDIES ON IT ALL. MY DAUGHTER IS 13 MONTHS OLD AND IS AT 16 MONTHS IN EVERYTHING, SO THE SAYING THAT PEOPLE WITH DOWN SYNDROME ARE MENTALLY RETARDED I DONT BELIVE IT AT ALL.
STEPH&HALEIGH JUNE 20

Re: DOWN SYNDROME AND CLEFT LIP/PALATE

Postby Jo » Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:16 am

When I was diagnosed pre birth of having a cleft baby I was told that certain clefts are chromosone clefts and thus I could not rule out Downs.

I did not have an amniocentisis as if my daughter had Downs so what.

It is great to hear that your child is doing so well.
Jo

Postby gina » Fri Aug 11, 2000 6:32 pm

I also have a 7 month old with a partial bi-lateral cleft palate. The doctors are almost sure that the cleft is due to a lack of folic acid- I was taking a medication prior ro finding out I was pregnant which depreciated my system of folic acid. After reading your comments, Im wondering if the folic acid deprivation caused my AFP testing to come back "at risk" for Downs. Reguardless, my daughter is beautiful and worth every minute of time. I've learned to take things day by day. good luck
gina

Postby Mitchy » Tue Oct 17, 2000 9:55 am

Good for you! If you fancy an email chat any time I am on
Mitchy@currantbun.com
Both my kids have clefts and I have a wide family/friends knowledge of this. Always like to chat to someone new

Mitchy
Mitchy

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate