Minimizing Scars From The Start

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Minimizing Scars From The Start

Postby Trisha » Wed Jun 28, 2000 8:57 am

Some measures can help to avoid some unnessary scar revision surgeries. We've all seen the television advertisement (Neosporin), which claims that this product prevents scars from forming. I have not read the medical studies on this, but I believe there is truth to it. Preventing infection is one way of preventing the appearance of scars. However, cleft surgery incisions are deeper than the average wound.

Below are some other ways of minimizing the appearance of scars, but PLEASE, ***Always ask your surgeon what is the best treatment***

..........Peroxide + Bacitracin
During the time period before the stitches are removed-cleanse the site with a 1/2 peroxide 1/2 water mixture, applied with cotton swab (Q-tip). Dry the area, and apply Bacitracin ointment on the site

..........Tape the incision site
YOU MUST ASK YOUR SURGEON BEFORE DOING THIS. He will advise how to tape, which brand, length of time, etc. Note: not all surgeons recommend this.

..........Massage the scar
Ask your surgeon. Again, not all surgeons recommend this.

..........Prevent unnessary sun exposure
Sunscreen with a very high SPF is NOT enough protection. You may want to cover the area completely with a loose bandage (for healed scars)

Always research any method, whether the above, or applying vitamin E, etc. Do not apply any ointment, cream, oil, patch, etc, without first consulting with your surgeon.
Trisha

Re: Minimizing Scars From The Start

Postby steph&haleigh » Thu Sep 14, 2000 3:56 pm

WE USE MEDERMA ON MY DAUGHTERS CLEFT SCAR. IT WORKS WONDERS AND YOU CAN BUY IT AT YOUR DRUG STORE.WE JUST APPLY IT A FEW TIMES A DAY AFTER THE STITCHES ARE REMOVED OR DISSOLVE.
steph&haleigh

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate