thumb sucking, bottles and surgery

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

thumb sucking, bottles and surgery

Postby kristaclinton@hotmail.com » Tue Apr 25, 2000 8:19 am

Hi,

My Kaylee is five months old and is going in for corrective surgery of her cleft of the soft palate in two weeks. We have problems though. She is a real thumb sucker. WE have tried lovies and stuff and she just wants her thumb. We have also tried sippy cups and she prefers her bottle to the point where she won't even try the sippy cup anymore. We were told she will have to use an open face cup after surgery and so we thought the sippy cup would be a good first step. We have also been told that for a week after surgery she is not allowed these things, any suggestions??

Thanks,
Krista
kristaclinton@hotmail.com

Re: thumb sucking, bottles and surgery

Postby isabellasmum » Sun Apr 30, 2000 10:29 am

Hi Krista

I don't have suggestions for you, but am in a similar situation. My daughter is 3 1/2 months and will only go to sleep with a soother -- a big mistake to have given her in the first place, I know! We are currently trying lovies, soothing music, and a rotating lamp as alternatives. I am very worried about weaning her from her soother and bottle before surgery. Good luck and I hope the surgery and recovery go well for you both.

Celia
isabellasmum

Re: thumb sucking, bottles and surgery

Postby Kelly » Tue May 02, 2000 8:00 pm

I think it depends on your surgeon. Ours always lets babies have bottles after their surgery. Maybe ask another surgeons opinion about the bottle. Adter surgery, they usually want you to keep them as happy as possible. It won't help any to have crying baby who wants her bottle. Our hospital discharge instructions even said that most babies can have their bottle after cleft palate repair.
Kelly

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate