Genetics

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Genetics

Postby Tami » Fri Apr 14, 2000 9:29 am

Hi, my name is Tami. I had posted earlier under "Stares and Questions." I was wondering if anyone knew the likelyhood of cleft palates and harelips materializing themselves in future generations. I was born with a bilaterial harelip and double cleft palate in 1972. I have 2 wonderful daughters ages 6 and 4. Both of my daughters were unaffected by my harelip and cleft palate. I was wondering if anyone knew if this gene is a dominant gene and if this can exhibit itself in future generations. I was also wondering if anyone has any books or good websites that might address this as well. I would never want my children to avoid the joys of motherhood over this birth defect, since there has been great strides in repairing a harelip and cleft, even since I was born. Iam just very interested in the scientific aspect of this birth defect and how it is passed on. I love my children very much and when the time comes I just want to be able to give them as much support and information that I possible can. Thank you for your help. Also please feel free to e-mail me at Eve-616@excite.com.
Tami

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate