Success and Future Story of Cleft Lip

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Success and Future Story of Cleft Lip

Postby tweed1@frontiernet.net » Wed Feb 09, 2000 9:37 am

My daughter was born in 1991 with a unilateral cleft and small portion of her gum involved. Eight years later I have just found this wedsite. She is a beautiful, well adjusted 3rd grader who wants to know why she must have the bone graft surgery this summer since God made her this way and she LIKES being different?? We are having the surgery! Knowing different won't be acceptable to her come 7th or 8th grade! She had the lip repair at 10 weeks/10lbs. We have since moved and are looking for a new team in the NY area. We have started orthodontic treatment turning her front teeth around straight (she was the coolest kid in 2nd grade because she got braces!!) They also expanded her palate in preparation of the bone graft this coming summer 2000. PLEASE feel free to email me for more information or to talk. This website has been so informative I can't believe I didn't know about it until now. God bless all parents and children with Clefts and may you be as blessed as we have been.
tweed1@frontiernet.net

Re: Success and Future Story of Cleft Lip

Postby sam » Sat Feb 19, 2000 9:09 am

my son was born with a unilateral cleft lip, gumline, and palate. he had his first surgery at 3 months, for the lip. then one at 7 months, and finally they will repair his palate in july. he is know 10 months old and is the greatest little boy in the whole world. even at so young they develop such great personalities. the bone graft wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. it gets easier each time. thats great that your daughter has such a positive attitude. no matter where you go, there are mean people out there and they will find anything to make fun of...whether it be your name, your hair, or even you smile. keep doing what you are to make her feel special. unfortunatly, there aren't enough o fgood parents out there like you. take good care of yourself, and good luck with your daughter.
sam

Re: Success and Future Story of Cleft Lip

Postby Steve, Zack's Dad » Mon May 22, 2000 10:51 am

My son had his surgery by the LIJ Craniofacial team.

Zacks now finishing up 1st grade and has just begun to question this "difference" and I stumbled onto this site looking for a group or place where he can meet other kids "like him".

Best of luck,

Steve
Steve, Zack's Dad

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate