cleft palate cups - need suggestions

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

cleft palate cups - need suggestions

Postby sarahck » Sat Dec 11, 1999 11:49 pm

Hi,
My son will have his palate repaired in February. We are trying to get him to drink from a cup, but no luck so far (he's 7 months old). Elizabeth mentioned the "nosey" cup. Is that available in Canada? I'm finding that all I can buy is the no-spill cups, and even if you take the valve out, they still require a vacuum to work. Can someone suggest a "free-flow" cup - preferably see-through?
Thanks,
Sarah
sarahck

Re: cleft palate cups - need suggestions

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Dec 13, 1999 4:43 pm

Hi. The cup I refered to is available through LeLecheLeague, but they do not call it by that name.
I got mine from a local service here and they called it that.
It is a cup with one side cut VERY low. you can only put a little bit of liquid at a time, but it does not cover baby's
face at all. You can see what you give and they don't feel intimidated.

It was the best one we used.
If I'm not mistaken the manufacturer is Medela, so you might go to their web site too
if they have one.
Good luck!
You can e-mail me at mcseamus@ivillage.com if you need more info!
Elizabeth

Postby Anissa » Wed Jan 26, 2000 10:15 am

Hi, my son has bilateral cleft lip and palate and I have only found one cup that works and that he also likes to use..It is a no spill cup made by GERBER, I just took out the valve and he can drink fine with it, the milk does not come out too fast or slow and he loves it...They cost about $4.00 a cup but they are well worth it, I am sure that you can find them at any retail store or supermarket.Hope this helps you out and if you need any more info please feel free to contact me at nel64@webtv.net He is now 13 months old and has been using the cup since he was 10 months old and he doesn't have to really suck to use the cup that is the great thing about it..
Anissa

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jun 15, 2000 1:38 pm

My son is now 4 3/4 years old but the only container that I found to be any good was a haberman feeder, cups of any description were no good,if this makes you feel any better things do improve as they get older but still expect some problems
Anonymous

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate