Cleft Palate Feedings

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Cleft Palate Feedings

Postby Todd Huynh » Mon Nov 22, 1999 7:22 am

Hi everyone,

My son was born on 6/10/99 with a cleft palate.
I am currently using the Haberman and at 5 months he is eating around 5 ounces of formula and alittle cereal. Does anybody know of any bottle similar to the Haberman that can support more than 5 ounces of formula? It is really hard to have 2 bottles ready for him at the time of feeding. When he eats cereal he seems to sneeze out most of it out his nose and mouth. He is schelduled to have surgery around 2/2000. I was just wondering if after the surgery if I can use regular bottles and what problems if any could come from this surgery? My wife and I are really worried about this operation. Can anybody shed some light on how common this operation is and the risk factor involved? Any help would be usefully.
Todd Huynh

Re: Cleft Palate Feedings

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Nov 22, 1999 4:16 pm

Congratulations!
I used the 'Haber' for my son. You can screw the teat onto any bottle, you don't need to use the one that
it comes with. We used the big 8 oz ones from the store, no problem!
He will continue to sneeze the cereal out, when you feed him you need a bib as well! :)

I would suggest getting the baby used to a cup. There is a great cup you can use, it's called a nosey and it has one side
cut low and is very flexible. My son had his surgery in October 1999 at 12 months old. We got him used to a cup before surgery, because after
it they can not use a bottle. Not even the Haber-nothing in the mouth! After the arm splints came off and he was allowed to eat solids we tried the Haber again
because we were trying to fatten him up quickly. He didn't even remember how to use it, so it is now permenently retired!!

I think your baby will be more comfortable if you use the cup at least a month before surgery. They can't go home until they drink, so it will be better if he gets used to it soon.
Good luck!
Elizabeth

Postby spices@aol.com » Sat Nov 27, 1999 6:32 pm

After my son had his lip repair, but before palate repair I used regular plastic bottles with playtex silicone juice nipples. They are already crosscut and are sort of orange in color. They worked great. Before this I had tried every type of bottle and nipple I could find. Hope this helps
spices@aol.com

Postby lee (uk) » Thu Dec 02, 1999 5:09 pm

My son, Charlie, had his lip repaired at 3 mnths and hip palate repaired at 6 mnths. We used the 'CHICCO' squeezable bottles with a teat with slit in the end. this helped immensly as we could assist with a gentle squeeze on the bottle.
Charlie is now 3 yrs old and a total transformation from birth.
If you wish to see some b4 and after pics then drop me an email to replytolee@hotmail.com
lee (uk)

Postby sarahck » Sat Dec 11, 1999 11:56 pm

Hi,
We are using the MeadJohnson cleft palate bottle. Its a soft plastic bottle that you squeeze (gently) to help them get milk. It is measured for 6 ounces, however, if you fill it right to the top, it will take 8 ounces. Our son usually only takes at most 7 ounces a feeding. Since we started him on solids, that amount is dropping. You may not need a bigger bottle.
Sarah
sarahck

Postby Shelly Shaw » Fri Sep 01, 2000 10:59 pm

Hi! My son just had cleft-lip repair surgery on Aug. 18 and I am still having to feed him with a suringe. I try the bottle but he doesnt want it. I dont know if it is because his lip still hurts or he just doesnt want it.. I dont know what to try next. I mix about 3 ounces of formula with a jar of baby food and that satisfies him...but Im still using the suringe. I guess you have to use whatever it takes to get him to eat. The doctor said that when he has his palate surgery, he wants him to be drinking out of a sippy cup and i have tried that but he doesnt know how to suck yet. I hope that all goes well with your childs surgery.
Shelly Shaw

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate