Almost 5 yr-old inhales to make "s"

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Almost 5 yr-old inhales to make "s"

Postby Patti » Thu Oct 25, 2001 1:52 pm

Hi- Glad to find a discussion list with archived information! My son has a repaired unilateral cl&p. His speech has improved drastically in the past year, but he still tends to suck air in to make the "s" sound as opposed to blowing air out. While I think he simply need to "unlearn" a compensatory habit, his speech therapist is concerned that this might be related to saliva control or dental issues. She wondered if this was common among cleft-affected children. Anybody know? Thanks!
Patti

Re: Almost 5 yr-old inhales to make "s"

Postby Edie » Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:19 am

This articule you wrote made me smile because my son too does the same thing. I do believe they get used to speaking as before and I think they just don't get the 'new' way of saying some letters. He gets speach therapy but he really needs to concentrate more on tongue placement. I get up at his face and say the word for example, some and he inhales. I make it even louder so he can feel the air coming out of my mouth but does not get it. I even try as much as possible to have him see the way I place my tongue. I think he could make the right sound but it doesn't register to him.
Edie

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate