NEED HELP

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

NEED HELP

Postby ROSEANNA » Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:32 pm

I AM A CONCERNED MOM, MY MIRACLE CHILD WAS BORN ON AUGUST 10,2001..HE WAS BORN WITH A SOFT PALATE, HE IS STILL IN THE HOSP BECAUSE HE IS HAVING DIFFICULTIES SUCKING A BOTTLE SO IS NOW BEING FED THROUGH A TUBE IN HIS NOSE THE DR'S HAVE NOT TRIED THE HABERMAN FEEDER YET BECAUSE HE IS NOT SUCKING ENOUGH ON A REGULAR BOTTLE. THEY ARE TRAINING ME NOW TO INSERT THE TUBE SO THAT HE CAN COME HOME.. I'M SCARED BECAUSE I DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO HAPPEN TO MY BABY. CAN ANYONE HELP AND GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.. MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS ROSEANNAPARKER@AOL.COM
ROSEANNA

Re: NEED HELP

Postby Anonymous » Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:03 am

Is the reason he isn't sucking because of the cleft only or are their other reasons like prematurity?? I guess if the only reason is the cleft then the tube feedings are really not necessary in my opinion. I would think a dr. would know this, but maybe you have a dr. that isn't familiar with the affect a cleft palate would have on sucking. My child couldn't get suction on anything when he was born. This is because the nostrils are exposed from the cleft palate and it is impossible to achieve suction unless you were to plug the nose, and then he couldn't breathe! Best wishes to you and don't be afraid to voice your concerns to your dr.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:06 am

Is the reason he isn't sucking because of the cleft only or are their other reasons like prematurity?? I guess if the only reason is the cleft then the tube feedings are really not necessary in my opinion. He would need a haberman feeder so he can still go through the sucking action, but you squirt it in his mouth at the time he would be sucking in. I would think most hospitals would have this feeder because a lot of the heart prob. babies use them. I would think a dr. would know this, but maybe you have a dr. that isn't familiar with the affect a cleft palate would have on sucking. My child couldn't get suction on anything when he was born. This is because the nostrils are exposed from the cleft palate and it is just impossible to suck without sealing off the air. Best wishes to you and don't be afraid to voice your concerns to your dr.
Anonymous

Postby Susan Thomas » Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:11 pm

I emailed some information to your AOL address. Please let me know if it did not go through!
Susan Thomas
Susan Thomas

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate