cleft palate

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

cleft palate

Postby Lori » Tue Aug 21, 2001 4:34 pm

Hi, My husband & I are adopting a precious 4-yr-old little girl from China and expect to travel anytime! We have two biological sons and I am a pediatric nurse (but without much experience with cleft palate repair). Dani Lin was born with a unilateral cleft lip, also, which was just repaired last Nov (2000). She has been diagnosed with a grade 1 cleft palate. I'm not sure what exactly this means, that it is the least severe stage? I have been doing research on possible surgical scenarios, we live in Phoenix (Phoenix Children's Hosp). I was concerned about her having surgery very close to the time she gets here and her adjustment and all, but what I have found is that other children have positively responded to having the first surgery close to when they arrive. I do want her to be able to speak clearly from the start as it will help her with her English building. We are all learning Chinese, but with her unclear speech and our "accents", I'm not sure we are going to understand what each other is saying very well! We'll see. If anyone could just shed some light on the best things I could do initially for her regarding the cleft palate, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Lori
Lori

Re: cleft palate

Postby boggs_wesley@hotmail.com » Mon Sep 03, 2001 11:16 am

a first degree cleft palate is the least severe, there are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and most troubling of all, bilateral... a first degree, if repaired properly, should not hinder speech in anyway... i was born with a 3rd degree lip AND palate and i have no speech impediments, no hearing problems, 20/20 vision and a lust for life... about the only thing your little one will not have is a uvula (the hangy ball thing in the back of your throat... i don't have one either...) just remember as your child grows up that even tho his scars may be unnoticeable, they are always amplified inside his own mind... when he looks in the mirror, he will see only his scar, and his self-image will never be as the rest of the world sees him... be very sympathetic towards this... it will pass with time, but kids will always be mean, and teenagers are even meaner... but most kids enjoy a perfectly happy, healthy, normal life... i did...
boggs_wesley@hotmail.com

Postby Jeff Alterman » Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:56 pm

Thank goodness that you have no speech problems despite having been bron with a rather significant cleft palate and a cleft lip. I just have a submucous cleft hard palate and the very slighteat of a harelip and my speech is slightly, but distinctly nasal. Thankfully my speech is otherwise easily understood. The only bad thing is the discomfort I have sometimes from my submucous cleft hard palate. For the last two months I wear a hood that covers my head except my face when I sleep at night. Since my cheeks are ocvered my mouth is kept warm so I'm not a much pain anymore. The moral of this is, even the minor form of a cleft palate can cause problems. Jeff Alterman at alterman@bestweb.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:12 am

HI,

We are considering adopting a girl from China w/ a third degree cleft lip/palate and it is very encouraging to read your words. Thank you for sharing.

Cathy
Anonymous

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate