Expectant mother with cleft, baby with cleft

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Expectant mother with cleft, baby with cleft

Postby Mommy7 » Sat Aug 18, 2001 6:54 am

I had my sonogram this Thursday and found out that my baby has a cleft lip and possibly palate. I guess my question is, does this happen often? I've seen many women who have clefts and give birth to perfect babies. This is my first baby.. will my second baby have it, just because I do? It's not the end of my world, but I'm still quite overwhelmed with it all. I was so sure that I wouldn't pass it on. I'm glad I'll be with him to guide him through this. But I can't imagine it will be as traumatic for him as it was for me. Things have changed quite a bit. My husband and I had planned to have a large family, but are my chances for every baby having this greater? Any help would be appreciated. janwelt@aol.com
Mommy7

Re: Expectant mother with cleft, baby with cleft

Postby Calvero » Thu Aug 23, 2001 8:42 pm

Hello :). I'm 28, also born with cleft lip and palate, and a mom of a 2 1/2 year old girl non-cleft. From talking with other cleft parents, those who have cleft children as well if their is family history of it. But that's not a scientific survay, just something I've noticed :).

Most have "normal" kids. The most my little girl had was being born jaundice, and that's with me also having a malformed uterus, so I was really lucky.

But there are a few out there that also have cleft kids as well. But I don't hear much from them :(.

Kim,
The Cleft Club,
<a href="http://cleftclub.cjb.net">http://cleftclub.cjb.net</a>
Calvero

Re: Expectant mother with cleft, baby with cleft

Postby Anonymous » Thu Aug 23, 2001 10:06 pm

Dear Jan,
My name is Richard Rosenblum and I am a craniofacial surgeon in practice with Bill Magee in Norfolk, Va. Together, we have taken care of over 3,000 children with clefts. W e are very big on meeting moms and families immediately after the in utero diagnosis is made as we believe in repairing these clefts within the first few days of life. We have a wonderful cleft team and take care of patient from around the country every week. I would love to talk to you and explain our unique philosophy of early intervention. Please feel free to email me your phone # and I will call you. I look forward to talking to you soon.
Sincerely,
Richard
rsrosenblum@hotmail.com
757-627-6700 (O)
757-537-8086 (H)
Anonymous

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate