Cleft Lip & Palate

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Cleft Lip & Palate

Postby Carol » Mon Jul 02, 2001 9:56 am

Hello. I am a 32 year old woman born with a unilateral cleft lip and cleft palate. I've only just discovered this site a few days ago. As I read other's stories I am touched by their strength and bravery. I have had 8 surgeries--four of them were as an adult (my most recent was in November, 2000). But here's an odd story . . . I was born with a cleft lip, then my neighbor across the street was born with a bilateral cleft lip and then my neighbor next door to me was born with a unilateral cleft lip. We are not related so that always seemed very odd to me. Or just a coincidence? I don't know.

But I too, like most, had a difficult childhood socially. I was teased in school. I didn't want to talk about it ever. But today I feel it has made me a much stronger person, and I am pleased to find a site to read and share similar experiences.
Carol

Re: Cleft Lip & Palate

Postby Calvero » Thu Jul 05, 2001 7:16 pm

That is an odd story about your neighbors! How did you find out they they were also born cleft? Who knows if I have any around me... then again I'm only a little familiar with a couple of them.

I'm 28 and I also feel that having been born with it has also made me a stronger person and more tolerant about people's differences :). It was a tough emotional road for me but I believe I wouldn't have the same view on what life is really about if I hadn't gone through it.

Kim, The Cleft Club
<a href="http://cleftclub.cjb.net">http://cleftclub.cjb.net</a>
Calvero

Re: Cleft Lip & Palate

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jul 06, 2001 8:56 am

We were born and grew up on the same street (one next door to me and one across the street from me). We pretty much grew up next to each other. Now we are 32 yrs., 28 yrs., and 24 yrs. old--I am the oldest of the three of us. We all went to the Cleft Palate Clinic (in Cleveland) when we were kids--sometimes together, sometimes separately along with our moms. We spent the day being examined by doctor's, dentists, oral surgeons, etc. We are all grown up now but our families still stay in touch--my parents and the parents of the girl next door still live next to each other. I guess it's kind of a unique situation. :)
Anonymous

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate