Bottle feeding after cleft palate surgery

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Bottle feeding after cleft palate surgery

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 20, 2001 8:03 am

My son is scheduled to have his palate repaired in a month. Have heard different things from different people. Will he have to be totally off the bottle by the surgery? He does okay with his Luv N' Care sippy cup but it flows too fast for him. He has been using a sippy cup off and one for the last couple months but mostly for water and juice. Could someone let me know if he has to be off his bottle 100% by his surgery.
Anonymous

Re: Bottle feeding after cleft palate surgery

Postby Sarah » Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:55 pm

I don't know if it varies from surgeon to surgeon, but my daughter is due for her palate repair surgery next week, and our surgeon told us, nothing in the mouth. No bottles, nuks, or sippy cups with spouts. My advice would be to call your surgeon and ask him/her what they want. -Sarah
Sarah

Postby Jill » Wed Feb 21, 2001 5:12 am

Thanks. I actually went ahead yesterday and put a call into my surgeon. I'm waiting for a return call. Just wondering -- how old is your daughter? I also put in the question about choking at 8 months old. Just curious. I guess I shouldn't worry too much. We've just got a month to go until the palate is fixed and then I'm sure the choking will cease.

This is my first time "talking" to someone in the discussion. I don't have a computer -- I use the one at work. It was so nice to come in this morning and see that someone responded so quickly. I really appreciate it.

What date is your daughter's surgery scheduled for? I'd be really interested in knowing how it all goes and what the process is like. I'm sure your ready to get it over with but at the same time, nervous to go through it (at least that's how I feel).

Again, thanks for "talking" with me.
Jill

Postby Sarah » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:29 am

Hi Jill,
Its Sarah again, I saw your response. This was my first time writing online as well, but its nice to talk to someone else who has a child with a cleft palate. My daughter is 16 months old, we go in on Monday (the 26th) for our surgery. I can't believe that we're so close now. I'm nervous but excited for Ariel, though I worry about how she will adapt after the surgery, it will be so different for her. I can't remember what you entry about choking said, but my daughter sometimes gags on food and chokes. Mainly if its something too hard or crunchy. It also seems to be worse if she has a cold and is really congested. If you'd like to talk more, I'd be happy to tell you more about my daughter, you can email me at deleon@spectranet.ca
I hope to hear from you soon, Sarah.
Sarah

Postby Colleen R » Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:46 am

My daughter is 9 months old and had her cleft palate repaired two weeks ago. Her surgeon wanted her completely off the bottle and pacifier and using a sippy cup exclusivley by the time of the surgery. She uses the Tupperware sippy cups with the white domed lids. They don't flow too freely and choke her but also don't require suction.

The Tupperware cups also have short spouts which don't go too far into the mouth. Actually, I think they stop at the lips. They really worked out nicely for us.

Our surgeon said Laura could use the bottle again about 2-3 weeks after the surgery, but she's doing so well with her cups that going back to the bottle seems like going backward from a developmental standpoint.

Good Luck!!!
Colleen R

Postby Jill » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:25 pm

Colleen,

Thanks for the advice. We have a Tupperware cup but we must have a different one than what you're talking about because it does require suction. I'll look for another one. We've been using a Luv N' Care cup with soft spout but it really comes out too fast.

I hope your daughter is doing well. My son's surgery is scheduled for two weeks from today. I'm nervous.

If you have access to e-mail I'd love to hear from you about how your daughter's surgery went and any advice you can give.

Thanks again,

Jill

jmvg@aol.com
Jill

Postby Jill » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:33 pm

Colleen,

Well, I've tried to reply twice and it doesn't seem to work so if this is a repeat (or three-peat), forgive me.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Tupperware sippy cup but it requires sucking. I'll have to look and see what else they have.

My son is scheduled for his palate surgery in two weeks. I'm nervous.

I hope your daughter is doing well. I'm sure you've had a rough couple of weeks.

if you have access to e-mail, I'd love to hear about how your daughter's surgery went, etc. My e-mail address is jmvg74@aol.com

Thanks, again.

Jill
Jill

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate