My daughter's tooth is coming in sideways...

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

My daughter's tooth is coming in sideways...

Postby Darleen » Sat Feb 02, 2002 4:02 am

Hello All,
My daughter(15 months) was born with a microfine cleft--described a cleft that started and then stopped or maybe healed in utero?(no one knows). She also has a slight notch in her gum line. Finally, she's getting a tooth in the notched area but it is completely sideways, instead of facing forward. The tooth is right next to the front one. She has been seen by a Pediatric dentist and an Orthodontist before the tooth emerged--neither one knew when or how the tooth would eventually come in. Our dentist asked us to bring her back once the tooth erupted for another examination. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience with a "baby tooth" and how was dealt with. Will the tooth be pulled?
Braces for a baby? LOL !! I can't imagine the tooth being left as it is--not only because of asthetics...but due to eating problems and potential injury to the lip and tongue when she falls. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, our daughter did not have surgery on her lip. There is only a slight indent below her nostril--barely noticeable...but there. We're taking a wait and see approach on whether or not to do surgury when she is older. Anyone who has a microfine cleft such as my daughter's I would love to know if you had surgury, when and how it turned out. Thanks, Darleen
Darleen

Re: My daughter's tooth is coming in sideways...

Postby Jeff Alterman » Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:54 pm

I have a microfine cleft lip myself and I never needed surgery for it because it is usually invisible. What I would also be worried about is a submucous cleft hard palate which is definitely possible with a microfine cleft lip together with the crooked tooth that your daughter has. If a submucous cleft hard palate is present there is the possibility than even if the soft palate is intact, it is liable to hang down too low and the uvala will sit on the bacl of the tongue. This isn't usually very serious, but if this is present there can be some speech issues to deal with. I would suggest having your daughter's palate checked by an experienced doctor since a cleft is a possibility. In addition to my microfine cleft lip, I also have a submucous cleft hard palate and even though my soft palate is intact, it does hang down a little too low and my speech is a little nasal. There are dental issue in my case and I have a discomfort from my submucous cleft hard palate as well. My face is a very slightly disfigured by the cleft and the disfigurement is almost unnoticeable. Jeff Alterman at alterman@bestweb.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Anne » Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:23 pm

I think you should make sure you keep in regular contact with your dentist re the babys teeth. I have a double cleft lip and when I was a baby my baby teeth grew in sideways to. I dont know about now as things are alot more advanced but when my second teeth grew in the same way I had to get 6teeth out and now have a plate. Im 34 and have had to have a plate since the age of ten. Im sure now there are things they can do to prevent this happening it was a trauma for me at the age of ten to go threw such a thing ontop of surgery for my lip threw my childhood. Whatever needs done get it done while your child is young as he/she would be very self concious if they were left with disfigured teeth. Hope it all works out for the baby and you will get something done to rectify the problem. Just remember every case is different so just because I had to loose them doesnt mean your child will. Good luck
Anne

Postby odcupple@Yahoo.com » Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:28 am

DearDarleen,
My son was born with a bi-lateral cleft lip and palate. 3 surgeries later he is now 3 years old. About 9 months ago i noticed what appeared to me as a whole in his gum on the top, in the back. I took him to his orthadontist and he said Matthew was cutting a tooth and the tooth was growing in sideways, towards his cheek and that it would eventually have to be surgically removed. He sees the cleft lip and palate team in March. I know how you feel. Matthew also has teeth that has grown through his palate which they said they would do bone graphing and move them to where they should have been. They might start surgeries on him again this year. He needs nose surgeries,another lip surgery and alot of orthadonic work. I will keep your baby in my prayers. Matthew has been through so much and has more coming to him. Please let me know what comes of this tooth. I also want to let you know that i have noticed Matthew rubbing the side of his cheek alot, where this tooth is growing in sideways. He also has a very low appetite. It really is a chore for me to get him to eat. Take care and write back. Prayers to your family,
Laurie mom to Matthew bclp
odcupple@Yahoo.com

Postby Teri » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:55 pm

My son was born with a unilateral cleft lip and palate. His front tooth grew in at the middle of his palate and turned 180 degrees backward. He now has a front tooth that is turned forward and is in the correct place thanks to a great craniofacial orthodontist. My suggestion is to find one in your area--mine truly worked a miracle!!!
Teri

Postby Jeff Alterman » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:34 pm

I sympathise with you on your deantal isues. I have a few myself since I was born with a submucous bilateral alveolar ridge. At least I never needed a plate. However, my lateral incisors are at an angle though they aren't severly out of alignment, they look funny. I have retained upper baby canine teeth that are indicative of a bilateral submucous cleft alveolar ridge. I also have a submucous cleft hard palate and a microform cleft lip (right side). The pre-maxilla is slightly dropped. The soft palate is intact however. I have the tendency to make a weak snoring noise sometimes when I breathe through my mouth hard. My speech is slightly nasal, otherwise it is unaffected. Despite having a cleft, mine is rather minor and not much of a problem to deal with. It can be a nuisance though.

Jeff Alterman at alterman@bestweb.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate