Lip revision, secondary naso-rhinoplasty, fistula repair, an

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lip revision, secondary naso-rhinoplasty, fistula repair, an

Postby Jackie » Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:11 pm

Hi, my two year old son will be undergoing many revisions by Dr. Magee this month. I know many people who are very happy with his work but I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with having used other surgeons and had poor results and used Dr. Magee for revisions/repairs. We found a team close to home and have had very poor results. We will now travel hundreds of miles and hope for a better outcome!
Jackie

Re: Lip revision, secondary naso-rhinoplasty, fistula repair

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jul 12, 2001 6:45 pm

I did a quick search on the site, and found 15+ posts mentioning Dr. Magee. The following 2 I read said that they've used Magee for their children's surgeries.Hope this helps.

Look for post entitled: "Other patients of Dr. Magee in the Northern Virginia area" posted on May 10,2001 from Cst012392@aol.com
and
"Re: I have an 8 wk old with a cleft lip and palate............" posted on March 18, 2001 from ldarnell92@hotmail.com
Anonymous

Postby RENEE (TENNESSEEVOLS85@HO » Mon Jul 16, 2001 2:20 pm

I know what it is like to worry about the outcome of your child's surgery... My 5 yr old daughter just recently had this done by an excellent surgeon in Knoxville Tn. My daughter was born there when we lived in Knoxville. She had her first surgery at 2mos old to repair the lip, the appliance screwed into her palate at 6 mos old. She had nothing else until this yr. (41/2 yrs later). In June 01 she had the fistula repair, and appliance taken out and palate pulled together and repaired. Dr. Steven J. Smith at Knoxville Craniofacial Clinic is the surgeon. He is excellent. We now live in SC and I travel 300 miles one way to see him for her checkups as well as her surgeries. She's scheduled Dec 17 for her final stage which will be nasal reconstruction as well as a small indention in her lip he wants to repair. I would travel 2000 miles to see this man. He is well worth it.... The pediatricians here in SC wanted to send her to Charleston for surgery but I refused. If insurance will not pay for it because it's outside the network then so be it. I'll pay $50 a month on the hospital bill until it's paid off just so that she can continue to see the Doctor who started on her as an infant..My feeling is this is something our children have to live with the rest of there lives and I don't want to risk another surgeon screwing any thing up on her that will harm her later in life. I would rather be put out the time off from work, the gasoline, and the 300 mile drive there to make sure my daughter has the best and will be able to live a fulfilling life. She's worth the extra trouble to me. She has never had to take any speech therapy because of the excellant job he has done.... I hope I have helped ease a little of the anxiousness associated with these kinds of decisions. I know you want what's best for your son....
RENEE (TENNESSEEVOLS85@HO

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jul 22, 2001 12:41 pm

why keep trying for a better repair, is it not more about accepting what you have, as they say you cannot make a silk ear out of a sows ear. What is it that you are expecting? Are your expectations realistic? Is it not more about looking at yourself, rather than your child ... after all they know nothing...apart from your response to them...just love them as they are.... is that really so hard to do?
Anonymous

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate