Question

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Question

Postby Patyee17@aol.com » Thu May 31, 2001 5:23 am

Hi I was wondering if any one could help me. Ive posted here several times about my sons speech problems. Well they still have gotten any better. Someone told me that there is a procedure that can be done to see if the palate is working correctly. I think she said is was a scoping. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so what is the name of the procedure. Any info would be helpful.
Patyee17@aol.com

Re: Question

Postby Robin Sauls » Thu May 31, 2001 7:51 am

As a child I could not pronounce my "S" sounds...a pathologist had e-rayed video taped internally-my mouth and tounge while i spoke a series of words. Inquire with a speech pathologist if they can do the same with you child. After recording it was found I was actually using the back of my tounge instead of the tip of my tounge. saulsrobin@hotmail.com
Robin Sauls

Re: Question

Postby Edith » Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:19 am

My son is 4 and he is going to be getting this done soon. I'm not quite sure when he will be mature enough but for now we try to help his speech as much as possible. He still talks through his nose and his words aren't clear. The doctors want to wait becuase they don't think that he will sit in the chair long enough to finish the test. I think it's a loud, long and complicated, but that's just a guess.
Edith

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate