diet after palate repair

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

diet after palate repair

Postby Kathy, Vessie's Mom » Sat May 20, 2000 11:05 pm

Hi, My newly adopted 3 1/2 y/o daughter just had her palate repaired. We were told to keep her on a "soft" diet for 2 weeks. Even soft foods seem to stick to her palate & will not wash out easily when she rinses with water. How important is it that the site stay perfectly clean & free of food? I'm very worried that I will do something wrong.Any help will be appreciated.Thanks, Kathy
Kathy, Vessie's Mom

Re: diet after palate repair

Postby Tyler's Mom » Mon May 22, 2000 8:15 am

My son is having his palate repaired in a few weeks. Please let me know if you have any suggestion for me to prepare...Thanks and good luck with your daughter.

Mommywerks2@aol.com
Tyler's Mom

Postby Brandon's son » Thu May 25, 2000 1:04 pm

My son isn't as old as your child but I do know that it is very important to keep it as clean as possible. You don't want an infection to take place. Forget soft foods and really try to do a liquid diet as long as you can. It should only be for about a couple of weeks.
Brandon's son

Postby Brandon's mom » Thu May 25, 2000 1:12 pm

Regardingcleft lip surgery, gat ready for the arm restraint if you have a baby having palate surgery. Very awful to see but managable. Make sure nothing gets in the mouth that could open the stiches and liquid diet. Make sure you take out the arms and exercise then as often as possible. Your baby will be very fussy for prbably at least a week but be patient and time will pass soon enough. You might be feeding him/ her through a syringe which takes getting used to but pretty easy. If the case try to get as many as possible from the hospital as well as arm restraints. Good luck!
Brandon's mom

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate