Bottle feeding??

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Bottle feeding??

Postby dkgeick@cs.com   » Tue Apr 18, 2000 8:31 am

I am adopting two cleft palate toddlers (I posted 2/28/00). It has occured to me that they may not be eating solid food yet, and I have looked at baby bottles and nipples in the store, but I don't want to buy anything without advice....

Thanks for any suggestions! Karen Geick
dkgeick@cs.com  

Re: Bottle feeding??

Postby macarley@home.com » Tue Apr 18, 2000 3:21 pm

My son had a cleft palate and had a hard time bottle feeding as he couldn't form a proper suction. We had to order special bottles for him (through the cleft palate program at his children's hospital) which were soft and squeezable. Then, when he tried to suck, we gently squeezed the bottle and that is how we got the formula into him. These bottles were a miracle after trying every possible bottle and nipple out there. Good luck!
macarley@home.com

Re: Bottle feeding??

Postby stephanie » Sat Apr 22, 2000 6:55 am

hi-we tried the mead-johnson squeeze bottles, but what i had found to work the best is the haberman feeder. as the baby tries to suck on the nipple the bottle releases a little bit of formula. it's alot less time consuming. you can go to your pediatrician and they can write out a prescription for them and almost any drug store can fill it...i hope this helps and good luck to you and god bless...stephanie mother of cody
stephanie

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate