timing of operation  EARY vs. LATER ??????

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

timing of operation  EARY vs. LATER ??????

Postby messymomma » Thu Dec 02, 1999 7:05 am

Have all the people using this web site had the operation in the first days of life?? If so, what are the advantages vs. the downside. I would like to find out. We are considering the team out of Norfolk, but don't know if earlier surgery is any better than 10-12 weeks. thanks for the imput
messymomma

Re: timing of operation  EARY vs. LATER ??????

Postby jmart@cfu.net » Sat Dec 11, 1999 10:25 am

Our son's cleft lip was repaired at 4 months by a team of doctors at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I don't know if there are any disadvantages to an earlier or later repair. Our doctors did not give the option. They followed their standard procedure. One of the reasons it wasn't repaired until 4 months is because he had to have an appliance fitted to his mouth at 2 months to help pull the bone together on his upper gum. From his appearance, repair of the lip would not have been successful early on because of the large gap in the bone in his upper gum. I would suggest discussing with the surgical team. His development was not hindered in the least. His palate was not repaired until he was almost a year. He was able to eat, drink, etc. normally after his lip repair.
jmart@cfu.net

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate