Cleft Palate Feedings

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Cleft Palate Feedings

Postby Todd Huynh » Mon Nov 22, 1999 7:21 am

Hi everyone,

My son was born on 6/10/99 with a cleft palate.
I am currently using the Haberman and at 5 months he is eating around 5 ounces of formula and alittle cereal. Does anybody know of any bottle similar to the Haberman that can support more than 5 ounces of formula? It is really hard to have 2 bottles ready for him at the time of feeding. When he eats cereal he seems to sneeze out most of it out his nose and mouth. He is schelduled to have surgery around 2/2000. I was just wondering if after the surgery if I can use regular bottles and what problems if any could come from this surgery? My wife and I are really worried about this operation. Can anybody shed some light on how common this operation is and the risk factor involved? Any help would be usefully.
Todd Huynh

Re: Cleft Palate Feedings

Postby suren63@emirates.net.ae » Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:33 pm

iam feeding my cleft palete son[17days]cup feeding shown by a special care nurse.fill the breast milk or formula in an ounce cup and slowly and rythmically feed to the babies lower lip keeping the baby in upright position.when hungry he will finish it in seconds.give as much as u want.u can talk to a special care nurse about it.dont forget to stop and tap the baby at his/her back to release the air trapped between.
wish u luck
suren
[pl. let me know the result]
suren63@emirates.net.ae

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate